US Deputy Secretary of Energy Daniel Poneman yesterday praised Taiwan for the security measures the country has taken to protect public health and safety in the event of an accident at a nuclear power plant.
Poneman, who on Tuesday visited the Guosheng Nuclear Power Plant in Wanli District (萬里), New Taipei City (新北市), told reporters yesterday that Taiwan has built a “strong [nuclear] safety culture.”
“I was impressed both by the measures the plant had already taken before the Fukushima [Dai-ichi nuclear] incident, to have backup power and backup cooling water to minimize the threat of a nuclear accident ... and by the measures they have taken since Fukushima, to do what we [the US] have done, to study deeply the lessons that have been learned,” Poneman said.
Describing his discussions with officials and leaders in the business and academic community during his three-day visit as “robust, productive and fruitful,” Poneman said the people he spoke with impressed him with their “professionalism, technical expertise and questioning attitude” on safe nuclear operations.
Poneman also applauded the strong cooperation between the US and Taiwan under the Megaports initiative that has equipped the Port of Kaohsiung with radiation detection equipment, provides training to Taiwanese officials on how to operate and maintain the radiation detection system and has raised awareness of the potential danger of the materials.
With the Megaports initiative, dangerous materials, if they go astray, would be intercepted before they fall into the wrong hands, he said.
Poneman paid a visit to Minister of Foreign Affairs Timothy Yang (楊進添) before he wrapped up his visit and headed for Japan to have discussions with the authorities on nuclear energy and safety issues.
The most senior US official to visit Taiwan since 2000, Poneman said his trip reflected the same spirit that US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton expressed when she attended the APEC meeting in Honolulu last month: “The importance of Taiwanese participation in APEC and in multilateral institutions.”
“We will continue to focus on the strong economic and security cooperation that has had so many dimensions and that we have been able to develop further through such efforts as the Megaports initiative,” he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as