Fifty-five days before election day, officials for the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said the party is “moving the frontline of the 2012 presidential election to the Da-an River (大安溪)” in central Taiwan, after gaining ground in recent public opinion surveys.
The move shows that the DPP thinks it has made great strides in central Taiwan, a traditional stronghold of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT), and is ready to target northern support in the remainder of the presidential campaign.
The Da-an River, which flows along the border of Miaoli County and Greater Taichung City, divides north and central Taiwan.
The statement also has great meaning to the DPP, as it would no longer be a party that only enjoys strong support south of the Jhuoshuei River (濁水溪), which runs along the border of Changhua County and Yunlin County and is traditionally used as the border of southern Taiwan, as well as a “watershed” between the DPP and the KMT.
Conventional analysis holds that the DPP has been increasing its lead in southern Taiwan and the KMT still has a solid lead in northern Taiwan, making central Taiwan the potential “game-changing” battleground.
Recent surveys showed that the support rate of DPP Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) in central Taiwan — Greater Taichung, Changhua County and Nantou County, which is sandwiched between the Jhuoshuei and Da-an rivers — has surpassed that of KMT candidate President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), a senior aide of Tsai’s campaign said.
The Chinese-language magazine the Journalist on Wednesday quoted an anonymous KMT official as saying that an undisclosed KMT survey showed that Tsai is leading Ma in central Taiwan by 10 percentage points, and by 2 to 3 percentage points overall.
The aide also said that Tsai had overtaken Ma in central Taiwan, a region with about 2.4 million voters.
“I believe we can win in Changhua [County and City] and the old Taichung County, which was not an easy task in the past,” he said.
He added that the DPP is expected to lose in Nantou [County and City] by a small margin, given that it is the hometown of KMT vice presidential candidate Wu Den-yih (吳敦義).
“If we can draw even in old Taichung City, we can win central Taiwan,” he said.
The turnaround did not occur because the DPP had done anything special, but because of several fatal mistakes the KMT made, he said.
The DPP had already closed the gap in the region in the Greater Taichung mayoral election, in which its candidate Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全), who was later named as Tsai’s running mate, lost by only about 30,000 votes, or 2.24 percent. Su had made central Taiwan his priority campaign area after his nomination as vice presidential candidate.
Ma had mishandled many issues in the same period, which included his talk of a peace agreement with China within 10 years, the arrest of a Taiwanese diplomat by the US over a human rights violation and the much-criticized spending of NT$215 million (US$7 million) on a musical, the aide said.
The DPP could not afford to be too relaxed in central Taiwan as “a lot of things can happen in 55 days,” but it could finally push north into the Hakka constituencies and the Greater Taipei area of Taipei City and New Taipei City (新北市) with increased confidence, said another senior aide in charge of national campaign operations, who wished to remain anonymous.
It does not have to vie for Hakka support from scratch because Tsai, a Hakka, has made a couple of successful campaign visits to Miaoli, Hsinchu and Taoyuan and does not rule out visiting there again.
The DPP is confident it would register a vote share of more than 40 percent in Hakka-populated counties, which would be unprecedented given that its previous high of 39 percent came in former president Chen Shui-bian’s (陳水扁) re-election campaign in 2004.
“If we can manage to cut the deficit in Taipei and New Taipei City to less than 100,000 votes, I think we can pull off a win,” the aide said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as