Documents from the US Attorney’s Office have shed light on the allegations against Liu Hsien-hsien (劉姍姍), director-general of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) of Kansas City, who was charged in a US federal court with fraud in foreign labor contracting, partly based on testimonies given by her staffers.
Liu was arrested by the FBI on Thursday on suspicion of fraudulently obtaining a Filipino servant for her residence and was remanded in custody until a detention hearing on Wednesday.
According to a press release titled “Human trafficking rescue project” issued by the US Attorney’s Office, Liu allegedly paid the worker, named F.V. in the case, significantly less than the contractual amount and forced her to work excessive hours and perform tasks outside the terms of the contract.
Liu hired F.V., who was living in the Philippines, in November last year, and gave her an employment contract for a domestic helper at the TECO, which was then used to apply for a B-1 visa for F.V., the Attorney’s Office said.
In accordance with the affidavit in support of the criminal complaint, three TECO employees were questioned by FBI agents, and two of them, presumably Taiwanese, gave statements that corroborated the allegations.
The affidavit cited cooperating witness two (CW-2), employed as a director at TECO for about one year, as saying that Liu instructed CW-2 to pay her domestic servant US$225 when “Liu knew that F.V. was supposed to be paid [US]$1,240 per month.”
“CW-2 stated that Liu also paid her prior maid before F.V. much less than she was contracted to be paid as well. CW-2 said the discrepancy was very similar to how much F.V. was being shorted on salary. CW-2 said the prior maid went into a state of depression and stopped eating. CW-2 said that the prior maid was also physically abused by Liu. CW-2 stated that Liu had cameras installed throughout the residence to monitor F.V.,” the affidavit read.
Another cooperating witness, named CW-3, who told FBI agents that his position was similar to that of an accountant, said in the affidavit that “each time F.V. got paid, she was paid [US]$225 for salary and [US]$70 for Liu’s groceries.”
“CW-3 maintained copies of these receipts and showed them to the Affiant. (The receipts clearly document F.V.’s underpayment). CW-3 stated that these payments were much less than F.V. was supposed to be paid under her contract,” it said.
The affidavit quoted CW-3 as saying that “the previous domestic worker, prior to F.V., was being paid much below her contract as well. F.V. was supposed to be getting paid [US]$1,240 per month, or [US]$620 per payment. CW-3 said that Liu took F.V.’s passport and visa away from F.V. when she first got to Kansas City.”
Under the terms of her employment contract, F.V. was to work no more than eight hours a day, 40 hours per week, and her presence was not required inside the residence except during working hours, but Liu allegedly required the victim to work six days a week, 16 to 18 hours a day, and forbade her to leave the house without permission, the affidavit said.
Beth Phillips, US Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, said in the press release that the charges contained in this complaint were simply accusations, and not evidence of guilt. Evidence supporting the charges must be presented to a federal trial jury, whose duty is to determine guilt or innocence, it said.
The case is being prosecuted by Assistant US Attorney Cynthia Cordes. It was investigated by the FBI and the US Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division in conjunction with the Human Trafficking Rescue Project, the release said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as