The Safety Monitoring Committee of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant should be placed under the Legislative Yuan to better serve its function and allay public discontent, former committee member Lin Tsung-yao (林宗堯) said.
Lin, who in July penned a nearly 5,000-word letter to the Presidential Office detailing several problems at the power plant, including issues with the initial design, procurement problems leading to hasty construction and ineffective monitoring mechanisms by oversight bodies, recently made another appeal to the Presidential Office detailing issues surrounding the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant in Gongliao District (貢寮), New Taipei City (新北市).
In an interview with the Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister paper) on Wednesday, Lin, who last month resigned from the Safety Monitoring Committee, said that everyone in the Atomic Energy Council (AEC) was doing everything in their power to prevent mistakes, and many fines were being levied, adding that some have even threatened to stop the project.
Photo: Tang Chia-ling, Taipei Times
However, Lin said the AEC minister wanted to continue construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant, leading the council to understate the severity of its problems.
Their reports are misleading the nation and the government into thinking that the testing of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant was successful and it would only be a short matter of time before the power plant went into operation, Lin said.
Lin added the council was severely understaffed and was only able to conduct reviews on everyday processing and legal matters, adding that the council was even unable to attend and oversee the testing of security measures.
The council needs to certify that the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant is safe before giving the power plant its operational license, but it was not present at the testing of security measures, Lin said.
“How then will it convince the public that the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant is safe and ready to go into operation?” Lin asked.
Lin said that minor flooding took place at the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant after a failure of the emergency core cooling system during a trial run on Aug. 16. A pipe in the water cooling system was undergoing maintenance when the trial began, so water being piped from lower levels to the reactor leaked out, causing a 30cm flood of the generator’s sump pit.
Lin said that after the incident, the improvement plans pitched by the Taiwan Power Corp (Taipower) — the operator of the nation’s nuclear power plants — entailed only increasing the number of consultants and trying to improve the quality of their work.
If Taipower does not know what the problem is, no amount of consultants will be able to help it, Lin said, adding that at the Legislative Yuan, the Executive Yuan and the Commission of National Corporations, no one knows how severe problems at the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant are.
Lin said that after seven years of working on the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant, he had decided to quit his post after writing the letters in July.
“AEC deputy minister Shieh Der-jhy’s (謝得志) sudden resignation in July had a great impact on me. He said that he was like a ladybug who couldn’t break out of the glass,” Lin said. “If even the deputy minister can’t do it, how can I, only one member of the 13-member Safety Monitoring Committee, do it?”
At the time of his resignation, Shieh was quoted by local media as saying that he resigned because his personal beliefs conflicted with the council’s position on the matter.
As the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant entered testing stages during the last three of Lin’s seven years at the plant, Lin said he found it to be fraught with problems and gave a detailed account of those problems during a meeting.
Lin said he was forced to write the letters because there was no other channel for negotiation over the problems.
“Once the fuel rod is inserted, there’s no turning back,” Lin said, adding that construction on the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant was delayed for 15 years with no one stopping construction on it because no one was providing oversight.
Lin suggested putting the Safety Monitoring Committee under the jurisdiction of the Legislative Yuan and excluding members who refuse. The committee should hire people with professional experience with nuclear power plants and station these people at the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant to oversee and participate in the construction, he added.
At a separate setting on Friday, AEC Minister Tsai Chun-hung (蔡春鴻) denied he was trying to obfuscate the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant issue and said the Safety Monitoring Committee’s was for consultation only and did not represent the council.
Translated by Jake Chung, Staff Writer
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as