Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators accused President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) over the weekend of lacking sincerity, saying he only knew how to talk about his accomplishments while failing to apologize for his policy shortcomings.
They said the public would no longer believe a president who lacks credibility. Ma is running for re-election in January.
Although the budget allocated for Hakka affairs has expanded exponentially in four years, as the Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics’ detailed figures for next year’s budget show, Ma has failed to meet his other budgetary promises, the DPP said.
Ma had promised that the national defense budget would constitute no less than 3 percent of GDP, but the government had failed to meet this requirement in his two years in office — with both last year’s and this year’s defense budget standing at 2.7 percent of GDP, they said.
On education, Ma had proposed that its budget would increase by 0.2 percent of GDP per year, translating into an increase of NT$24 billion (US$807 million) per year, with government expenditure on education reaching 6 percent of GDP after eight years.
However, DPP legislators said that only the budget for 2009 had met this goal and that the net increase in funding for education in each of the two subsequent years did not even reach NT$20 billion.
The Ma administration also said it would set aside NT$10 billion annually for the Small and Medium Enterprise Credit Guarantee Fund of Taiwan and NT$5 billion for the establishment of a cultural diplomacy foundation, but both promises have not been fulfilled, they said.
DPP Legislator Tsai Huang-liang (蔡煌瑯) said Ma should apologize for failing to meet many of his policies, adding that the government’s focus on only its accomplishments was deceiving the public.
Ma’s credibility as a president has become questionable, Tsai said.
DPP Legislator Pan Men-an (潘孟安) agreed, saying: “The Ma administration only spreads the good news and doesn’t tell you the bad news.”
He added that the administration had only actively talked about the few policies that it had achieved while keeping silent on the ones it had not met.
Taiwanese will no longer believe Ma, Pan said.
In response, Research, Development and Evaluation Commission spokesman Sung Yu-hsieh (宋餘俠) said the execution of some policies were divided into parts and needed to be viewed on a case-by-case basis.
Sung added that if a policy’s execution was not up to speed, the evaluation unit would remind the agency in charge of its implementation to expedite its execution.
Translated by Jake Chung, staff writer
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and