Legislators, medical professionals and HIV/AIDS support groups had mixed reactions yesterday to a proposal to include a note on the HIV/AIDS status of individuals on their National Health Insurance cards.
The proposal was suggested as a way of avoiding a repeat of the errors that led to two local hospitals carrying out several organ transplants from a donor who had been HIV-positive.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislators Yang Li-huan (楊麗環) and Cheng Li-wun (鄭麗文) have backed the proposal.
Yang said the human rights of both HIV/AIDS patients and others should be protected and that indicating the cardholder’s status was a “necessary” step. Cheng said medical personnel have a responsibility to maintain patient confidentiality, but must also have access to vital information to keep them safe.
However, Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Chen Chiech-ju (陳節如) said the proposal was “not a good idea.” She suggested that information on HIV/AIDS status be registered with the Centers for Disease Control, which could provide hospitals with the information on a need-to-know basis.
Bureau of Medical Affairs Director Shih Chung-liang (石崇良) said a similar proposal had been made before, but was opposed by human rights groups, who said it would further stigmatize those with HIV or AIDS.
“A note on the card [on HIV/AIDS status] could violate the HIV Infection Control and Patient Rights Protection Act (人類免疫缺乏病毒傳染防治及感染者權益保障條例),” Shih said.
Centers for Disease Control Vice Director-General Shih Wen-yi (施文儀), however, said that such a notation would be an extra precaution against error.
Nevertheless, Wei Jeng (魏崢), director of the Heart Center of Cheng Hsin General Hospital, and Chu Shu-hsun (朱樹勳), president of Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, said diseases such as hepatitis and gonorrhea can also be passed on through blood.
“The hospital should conduct thorough checks on [organ and blood] donors and the key point is to be rigorous with such tests,” Wei said.
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Taiwan has recorded its first fatal case of Coxsackie B5 enterovirus in 10 years after a one-year-old boy from southern Taiwan died from complications early last month, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said yesterday. CDC spokesman Lo Yi-chun (羅一鈞) told a news conference that the child initially developed a fever and respiratory symptoms before experiencing seizures and loss of consciousness. The boy was diagnosed with acute encephalitis and admitted to intensive care, but his condition deteriorated rapidly, and he passed away on the sixth day of illness, Lo said. This also marks Taiwan’s third enterovirus-related death this year and the first severe