Three members of an association opposed to an elevated railway in Taoyuan said on Tuesday that indictments against them amounting to a possible seven years in prison were “unjust.”
On Aug. 2 last year, the Promote Subways in Taoyuan Association staged a protest in front of the Taoyuan County Government building during a visit to the area by President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九). The protest was held in opposition to the construction of an elevated railway, which they said would require the reclamation of 4,000 homes and 322 hectares of farmland.
“It’s a very steep price,” the protesters said of the proposed expropriations.
Last week, prosecutors indicted association director Hsu Wei (許為), deputy-director Hsieh Hsin-man (謝新滿) and director-general Lee Chun-hui (李春輝).
The prosecutors cited Article 136 of the Criminal Code as the basis of their indictments. Article 136 states that masterminds and perpetrators of mass violence may be indicted on charges that carry a prison sentence of a minimum of one year and a maximum of seven years.
Hsieh told a press conference hosted by DPP Legislator Huang Jen-chu (黃仁杼) on Tuesday that he felt the whole scenario was a setup to arrest the protesters because the police told them a scooter parking lot could serve as the petition area and that they could “with moderation express [their] wishes to the president.”
However, police began shoving the protesters and started arresting them when the president arrived, Lee said.
“I won’t regret [protesting] even if the court finds me guilty for trying to protect the citizens of the county,” Lee said, adding that “the government is sick, because no one cares about the forced expropriation of people’s land and homes.”
Taoyuan County deputy chief Yang Ming-sheng (楊明昇) dismissed Lee’s allegation and said the members of the association were interfering with the duties of the police and that the arrests were carried out in accordance with the law.
However, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Tien Chiu-chin (田秋堇) said the incident was being used “to make an example” of the association and scare off others who might have ideas of protesting to the president.
DPP legislator-at-large nominee Wu Yi-chen (吳宜臻) said a video recording of the protest gave no indication that there was sufficient evidence to charge the three with initiating the scuffle, adding that it was inconceivable that the prosecutors were relying on Article 136.
Saying the judiciary had become a tool to oppress the public, Huang presented a large plaque that read “The Three Subway Heroes” to the three association members at their court hearing yesterday.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and