The exclusion of Taiwan from official dialogue on the South China Sea did not leave the country totally out of the loop in talks over the region thanks to a Track II mechanism, but worries loom in the run-up to January’s presidential election.
Initiated by Indonesia in 1990, the annually held Workshop on Managing Potential Conflicts in the South China Sea has been the only venue for Track II diplomacy in which Taiwan has been engaged since 1991.
The workshop is conducted on an informal basis whereby participants from the six claimant countries of the South China Sea — Taiwan, China, Malaysia, Brunei, Philippines and Vietnam — and some other regional countries discuss issues related to the region.
A long-term participant at the workshop, Shiah Fuh-kwo (夏復國), a research fellow of the Research Center for Environmental Changes at Academia Sinica, said in a telephone interview on Friday that he worries that China might “reinstate” a policy of containment against Taiwan at the workshop if the Democratic Progressive Party wins next year’s presidential election.
That Taiwan has elicited no response from China on whether to jointly initiate a second stage of the “China and Chinese Taipei Joint-Project Southeast Asian Network for Education and Training, [or] SEA-NET” when the workshop convenes in November was a sign that its stance would depend on the election, Shiah said.
The SEA-NET was a two-year joint project operated by Taiwan and China alternatively, with each providing training courses in marine sciences for eligible students and visiting academics last year and this year.
It was the first time an initiative proposed by Taiwan was approved by the 2009 workshop since the country began actively advocating various projects in 2003.
“At the workshop, decisions are made by consensus. China always had excuses to oppose proposals initiated by Taiwan. Since 2003, we proposed initiatives every year, and none was approved due to opposition from China until 2009,” Shiah said.
He attributed the approval of the SEA-NET project to the rapprochement in cross-strait relations under President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and the fact that the project was jointly sponsored by China, allowing it to take credit for that.
“It was not until Ma came into office [in 2008] that China became friendly to us [Taiwan]. Before that, it allowed Taiwan’s presence at the workshop, but was not happy with us speaking or proposing initiatives,” Shiah said.
As an example, he said Taiwan was not allowed in the 2004 workshop to present the results of the SEA ONE project, an acronym for Southeast Asian Network of Ocean Education, implemented by Taiwan and attended by participants from most workshop members in 2003 in defiance of its disapproval.
On several occasions in the past, Taiwanese government officials were also present at the workshop in an unofficial capacity, sources said.
In addition to the workshop, which is the only standing Track II mechanism in existence, Taiwanese academics also participated in ad hoc international meetings on South China Sea issues called by the Philippines, Vietnam and Indonesia, said Baushuan Ger (葛葆宣), deputy secretary-general of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Department of East Asian and Pacific Affairs.
Through the Track II channels, Taiwan has had its sovereignty claims over the region heard by others and gotten to know other claimants’ plans and policies, he said.
Song Yann-huei (宋燕輝), a research fellow at the Institute of European and American Studies at Academia Sinica deeply involved in the Track II meetings, stressed the importance of maintaining Taiwan’s presence at such mechanisms in which Taiwan can set agendas for discussion and establish connections with other countries.
He suggested that Taiwan initiate joint projects with not just China, but also other claimants and regional countries at the workshop.
“Taiwan has attended the workshop for 19 years, but politics is still a problem impeding its participation,” Song said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and