President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday praised Taiwanese democracy pioneer Chiang Wei-shui (蔣渭水) for his dedication to the country and promised to defend Taiwan’s dignity and promote “Taiwan identity” as a way to continue the Chiang’s legacy.
Speaking at an event in Taipei commemorating the 80th anniversary of Chiang’s death, Ma said Chiang had enlightened Taiwanese society with his non-violent fight for democracy and insightful ideas, including his campaign against opium, and called on the public to remember his legacy and place in history.
Chiang, from Yilan County, was one of the leading political and cultural figures in Taiwan during the Japanese colonial period.
Photo: Wang Yi-Sung, Taipei Times
He also founded the nation’s first political party, the Taiwan People’s Party, and together with other intellectuals established the Taiwan Culture Association in October 1921. Its aim was to awaken Taiwanese consciousness through cultural enlightenment.
Chiang was imprisoned more than 10 times for defying orders during Japan’s rule and died of typhoid in 1931 at the age of 41.
In recognition of Chiang’s role in resisting the Japanese colonial regime, the Taiwanese government last year issued a set of commemorative coins engraved with his image.
“These actions seek to ensure that Taiwan remembers the contributions Chiang made to the country,” Ma said.
Chiang’s famous phrase “all compatriots must unite; unity is powerful” is a reminder of the importance of striving to bring Taiwanese together, Ma added.
As part of a wider effort to promote Chiang and other pioneers of Taiwanese democracy, Ma said the KMT has a portrait of Chiang at its headquarters to remind members of the importance of history.
The Council of Cultural Affairs is also to rename a performing arts hall at the Center for Traditional Arts in Yilan County the “Chiang Wei-shui Memorial Hall” in October to commemorate the pioneer, Ma said.
Chiang’s eldest son, 100-year-old Chiang Song-hui (蔣松輝), attended the commemoration and said that he approved of the Ma administration’s efforts to honestly face history, but he also said he expected the government to do more to defend democracy in Taiwan.
Additional reporting by CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as