After a month of continuous protests through art performances, activists and Amis Aborigines at Shanyuan Bay (杉原灣), Taitung County, who oppose the construction of a beachfront Meiliwan Resort Hotel gathered by the thousands again yesterday for a ritual ceremony at the beach.
The “besiege and fence” project by artists and activists to protest against the build-operate--transfer project was launched on June 10, followed by sit-ins and performances during the following month.
The Taitung County Government is suspected of illegally segmenting the land to avoid the need for an environmental impact assessment. After being sued by local residents and with a court ruling last year ordering a halt to construction, the county government -nevertheless authorized construction and issued licenses to the developer.
Photo: Chang Tsun-wei, Taipei Times
Construction was continuing as of press time.
About 20 environmental groups, community development organizations and civic groups gathered at the beach yesterday for a large-scale protest called “Thousands of people hold hands hohaiyan.”
Hohaiyan, a term often used in Aborigine folk songs, sounds like “shout to the ocean” in Mandarin, said Mayaw Biho (馬躍比吼), one of Taiwan’s most prolific Aboriginal documentary filmmakers. “That’s why we use it to symbolize our goal of protecting the ocean.”
The half-day protest began in the afternoon with elderly Amis, who led participants in a ritual prayer for blessings. The elders said they had lived in harmony with the ocean for generations and could not understand why the area was now being sold to private corporations.
Hand in hand, the protesters shouted that the resort hotel should be torn down and that construction that intrudes on Aborigine land rights and ignores the oceanic ecology must cease immediately.
Later on, the groups started a ritual symbolizing firing opposition toward the resort hotel.
“We want the government to know that while you are celebrating the Republic of China centenary, we are facing a bloody and tearful centenary,” Mayaw Biho said, adding that Aborigines had shared fish and the ocean with each other for centuries and would not yield the ocean to corporations.
Aborigines in eastern Taiwan are becoming increasingly deprived of their land rights, which is reminiscent of what happened to tribes in western parts of the country in the past century as economic development led to a boom in construction, Mayaw Bih said.
Continuing into the night, more than 20 groups and bands performed at the beach, including Aboriginal folk singer Panai (巴奈) and Takanow (達卡鬧), a singer of Rukai (魯凱族) and Paiwan (排灣族) ancestry.
Earlier on Friday, artists and cultural workers held a press conference to protest against what they termed inappropriate development and procedural injustice by the government benefiting corporations at the expense of residents.
“Developing tourism doesn’t mean you must exploit the land. You must get to know the local culture in depth and respect local Aborigines. Then you can decide what to do,” said a tearful Takanow, a resident near Sansiantai (三仙台), which is also threatened by construction.
“I came to Taiwan 15 years ago and I love Taiwan. However, do you think I like Taiwan because there are huge resort hotels everywhere? No. I love Taiwan because of the unique natural environment and unique Aboriginal cultures,” musician and environmental activist Matthew Lien said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as