Partisan sniping over the WHO decision to designate Taiwan a “province of China” continued to escalate yesterday, with the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) responding to allegations that it had previously accepted the “insult.”
The latest round of accusations came one day after Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Shen Lyu-shun (沈呂巡) said that the former DPP administration accepted the term “Taiwan, China” 18 times when attending WHO events in 2005, raising the question of who is to blame for the latest furor.
Shen made the remarks amid controversy over Taiwan’s status in the WHO, following DPP Legislator Kuan Bi-ling’s (管碧玲) disclosure earlier this week of an internal WHO memo that instructed staff to refer to Taiwan as “Taiwan, Province of China.”
The public would decide “who had damaged national sovereignty more,” Shen, Taiwan’s representative to the EU during the period, said on Wednesday.
President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), meanwhile, at a separate setting yesterday, also challenged the DPP over its handling of similar situations when it was in power.
DPP Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文), who previously served as vice premier, should understand the difficulties the nation confronted in the international community as Taiwan was similarly referred to as a province of China when participating in the WHO under the DPP administration, he said.
The WHO changed Taiwan’s designation to “Chinese Taipei” and invited the Minister of Health to attend the annual World Health Assembly (WHA), only after he took office, Ma said.
“Did anyone in the DPP think the former government disgraced the nation? Was the then-government aware of the situation? How did the then-government handle it? We should also look more closely at how the former government handled the situation,” he said.
Ma then issued a call for a non-partisan effort to defend Taiwan’s sovereignty and expand the space available to the nation for international engagement.
At a press conference held in response to the allegations, DPP spokesperson Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) released official documents suggesting that officials were expressly barred from accepting names like “Taiwan, China” and “Taipei, China” when the DPP was in office. If an event such as this did occur, Shen would have been held personally responsible, Chen added.
“What he describes slaps himself in the face,” Chen said, clutching former DPP administration memos that instructed agencies to use either “Taiwan” or the government agency name, followed by a city name, that he said were given to Shen.
“Shen is clearly and completely mistaken on this issue ... [he] shouldn’t have played the blame game. The naming controversy is an issue that should transcend partisan fighting,” Chen added.
Responding to Ma’s claim that the DPP administration condoned similar action, another DPP spokesperson, Cheng Wen-tsang (鄭文燦), said Ma “needed to take a look in the mirror.”
DPP lawmakers launched a fresh round of attacks earlier in the morning, accusing the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) of masterminding an agreement between Beijing and the WHO that relegated Taiwan’s status to that of a -Chinese province, as evidenced by the memo.
DPP Legislator Gao Jyh-peng (高志鵬) said that a 2005 Memorandum of Understanding between China and the WHO, which referred to Taiwan as “Taiwan, China,” came shortly after closed-door talks between the KMT and Chinese officials.
The term came about as a result of negotiations between then-KMT chairperson Lien Chan (連戰) and Chinese President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤), Gao said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as