Taipei EasyCard Corp said yesterday it would expand the use of EasyCards to fast food chains and gas stations this year as part of efforts to promote use of the cards as electronic wallets.
The company launched EasyCard as an electronic wallet that can store up to NT$10,000 in value last April.
Cards can be used at more than 12,000 outlets, from convenience stores and restaurants to supermarkets.
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
Before last year, use of the card was restricted to paying for public transportation.
Celebrating the first anniversary of the EasyCard as an e-wallet yesterday, company chairman Liu I-cheng (劉奕成) said the firm is working to have the card accepted at major fast food chains including McDonalds, and gas stations this year, as well as launching a reward program for e-wallet users to enable them to gain bonus points with each transaction.
The company is also looking into the possibility of integrating the cards with ATM cards, allowing cardholders to withdraw money from bank accounts and shop using the card, he said yesterday at a celebration ceremony.
The company has issued 24 million EasyCards, and 4.5 million users have used the cards as e-wallets, with more than 80 percent of the daily 280,000 transactions taking place at convenience stores, the company said.
Former company chairman Sean Lien (連勝文), son of former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) chairman Lien Chan (連戰), also attended the ceremony yesterday, attracting media attention as he has rarely been seen in public snce being shot in the face at a campaign rally for a local politician in what was then Taipei County in November.
As the key figure who pushed for the e-wallet program during his time as company president, Sean Lien expressed his pride in the program.
He declined to comment rumors linking him to the post of deputy mayor in Taipei City.
“Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) is not here today, and I’m not in a position to discuss the issue,” he said.
There are two deputy mayors in the Taipei City Government. The Hau administration plans to add one more deputy mayor to the team, and Sean Lien has been spoken about as a likely candidate for the position.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as