None of Taiwan’s fish catches have been contaminated by radioactive materials from Japan, the Atomic Energy Council said yesterday.
“Samples of fish caught around Taiwan have passed radiation tests and none of them have been found to contain abnormal radiation readings,” said Liu Wen-hsi (劉文熙), deputy director of the council’s Department of Radiation Protection.
Since Japan’s Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant began leaking radiation after being damaged by the earthquake-triggered tsunami on March 11, the council has set up radiation checkpoints at fishing ports around the country, Liu told a press conference at the legislature.
“All the fish tested at various fishing harbors are radiation-free and safe to eat,” Liu said.
He made the assurances after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Pan Men-an (潘孟安) complained that fish sales in major Taiwanese fishing towns had been stagnant since Japan’s nuclear crisis began.
“Sales of tuna and swordfish at Donggang (東港) in Pingtung County and Hsinggang (新港) in Taitung County, for instance, have declined significantly in recent days,” Pan said at the press conference.
Liu said consumers need not worry about fish contamination. Even if the damaged nuclear plant had leaked radiation into Japanese waters, radioactive substances would not flow southward to Taiwan because the Kuroshio current moves in a northward direction.
Feng Ren-lan (馮潤蘭), a deputy section chief at the Food and Drug Administration, said the nation’s radiation risk control system has been in operation since March 14.
“Select food items, including fish, have since been subjected to strict radiation tests. The government has also banned food imports from five Japanese prefectures near the Fukushima complex since March 25,” Feng said.
Fisheries Agency chief secretary Hsu Han-ching (許漢卿) said the agency had been closely monitoring the movement of Taiwanese fishing vessels since the outbreak of the crisis.
None of Taiwan’s fishing boats have operated within 1,000km of Fukushima Prefecture, Hsu said.
Pan asked the department to publish radiation test results on fresh fish catches regularly to alleviate public misgivings about radiation contamination.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as