President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) campaign promise to create an all-volunteer military within four to six years could be broken as the government is having financial difficulties, Premier Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) said yesterday.
Citing “budget difficulties,” Wu told reporters after a meeting on the subject with Ministry of National Defense and Ministry of the Interior officials that there could be a delay in the plan to replace conscription with an all-volunteer military by 2015.
“We have not decided on which year to abolish conscription, as financial difficulties will make it difficult to sustain a professional military,” he said.
During his 2008 presidential campaign, Ma promised he would implement an all-volunteer military service within four to six years.
On Wednesday last week, Minister of National Defense Kao Hua-chu (高華柱) told the legislature that plans for a fully professional military had been postponed by a year, but added there would be no further delay.
GRADUAL PHASING OUT
Wu said the administration would maintain its plan to gradually phase out the conscription system and increase the percentage of voluntary military personnel as the country could only maintain its defense capabilities by recruiting high-quality personnel specialized in sophisticated weapons use in an environment where technology has changed the nature of war.
“We will not engage in an arms race with China, but to maintain our self-defense capabilities, we have to pursue the objective of a refined military. Despite the rapprochement in cross-strait relations, we can’t base our national security on China’s goodwill,” Wu said.
Part of the funds needed to support an all-volunteer armed service could be collected from the disposal of land and camps held by the military, but left idle for years, Wu said, adding that he had asked Vice Premier Sean Chen to study the possibility.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and