A baker in Greater Taichung’s Dadu (大肚) area yesterday bought 10,000 cabbages from Yunlin County in an effort to help cabbage farmers, who have been hurt by low vegetable prices.
Baker Ho Cheng-tsung (何政聰) said customers would receive one free cabbage for every NT$100 purchase in his bakery.
The average wholesale price for vegetables has tumbled to a six-year low this year because of warmer weather after the Lunar New Year, resulting in a glut, with cabbages going for just NT$3 to NT$4 per kilo.
Photo: CNA
Ho said he was willing to do what he could to help the farmers out, even though the costs for his bakery business have risen as well.
Ho had also helped out when prices for bananas fell drastically, by promoting banana cakes.
He bought the cabbages at NT$5 per kilo — above the going price of NT$3 per kilo.
“It’s a shame that cabbages this good can’t fetch a good price,” he said.
“Increased overheads mean there will be some financial losses, but my 92-year-old father, a role-model farmer, has always said I should help farmers as much as possible,” Ho said, adding that he hoped his response would be followed by other acts of charity.
As the news of Ho’s promotion spread, customers trickled into his bakery. A custumer surnamed Su (蘇) said she was happy to get a head of cabbage for free by spending NT$120 at Ho’s bakery.
“Cabbages are in season and of good quality,” she said.
On Thursday, Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Liu Chien-kuo (劉建國) also held a press conference in Taipei aimed at calling attention to the plight of farmers.
“The price of three cabbages is lower than the cost of a cup of instant noodles,” Liu said, adding that despite subsidies provided by the council, farmers were still experiencing huge losses.
In response, Juang Lao-dar (莊老達), a specialist with the Council of Agriculture’s Agriculture and Food Agency, said the council had already made announcements three times this year to limit planting, as well as launched subsidizing measures for registered farmers.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty