Citing concerns over worker rights and long-term government policy, lawmakers yesterday failed to reach a consensus on a controversial revision that would allow foreign caregivers to spend more time in Taiwan.
The debate began after C.V. Chen (陳長文), the head of Taiwan’s Red Cross Society and a former senior government official, launched a public appeal last week to extend a license for his son’s caregiver. Chen said his son suffers from severe disabilities and requires fulltime care.
Currently, the Employment Service Act (就業服務法) prohibits foreign caregivers residing in Taiwan to work for more than nine years. Chen said he wanted to see this extended to 12 years, suggesting that this would provide for more consistent care and cut down on retraining fees.
Lawmakers from both parties said after a screening session that this move, which has already passed a preliminary committee review, would likely contradict a long-term policy aimed at reducing the amount of foreign caregivers and replacing them with family-based support.
“Even without foreign caregivers, I believe that we can give the same amount of care to our children with severe [disabilities],” said Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Chen Chiech-ju (陳節如), who countered that her 36-year-old son also had special needs, but was taken care of by family members.
Noting that there were hundreds of thousands of families around the country facing similar challenges, she said that it was important that Taiwan move towards developing a set of long-term care standards that would not be completely reliant on increasing the numbers of foreign caregivers.
There are currently more than 170,000 foreign caregivers working throughout the nation out of a total number of 374,000 migrant workers, despite efforts to stem the increase, according to statistics from the Council of Labor Affairs. A recent report from the Control Yuan revealed that 33,000 of these foreign workers are currently unaccounted for.
Job opportunities in Taiwan for domestic help would be adversely affected if the employment of foreign caregivers was extended three more years, said Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Ho Tsai-feng (侯彩鳳), citing numbers that show more than 600,000 Taiwanese still out of work.
As the result of yesterday’s breakdown in talks, it is unlikely that the proposed amendment will clear the legislative floor before the legislature goes into recess next Wednesday.
Both parties have, however, shied away from rejecting the proposal outright, with KMT caucus whip Lin Yi-shih (林益世) saying that the majority of his caucus members still leaned in favor and would look for another time to review the proposed changes.
DPP caucus whip Ker Chien-ming (柯建銘) also agreed that more discussion was needed.
There are concerns among DPP lawmakers that an extension would be detrimental to working conditions for the foreign caregivers, who could be pressured by their employers to remain in Taiwan for the full 12 years, if the amendment passed.
“We have to look at the fairness and health of these [caregivers] ... and how leaving their homes for 12 years could adversely affect them,” Chen Chiech-ju said. “We don’t have any plans for dealing with these [potential issues].”
The council, which oversees applications to hire foreign labor, has said that it does not oppose the amendment — maintaining that domestic job opportunities would not be affected — although labor groups and an organization representing the disabled have both spoken out against it.
Alliance for the Disabled secretary-general Wang Yu-ling (王幼玲), appearing at the same press conference with Chen Chiech-ju, suggested continued reliance on foreign caregivers would add to the impression that only they are able to take care of people with severe disabilities.
“It was a mistake from the start,” she said. “It has resulted in families today only being able to choose between foreign caregivers. The government [should] try and promote a better long-term care system.”
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY STAFF WRITER
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Taiwan has recorded its first fatal case of Coxsackie B5 enterovirus in 10 years after a one-year-old boy from southern Taiwan died from complications early last month, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said yesterday. CDC spokesman Lo Yi-chun (羅一鈞) told a news conference that the child initially developed a fever and respiratory symptoms before experiencing seizures and loss of consciousness. The boy was diagnosed with acute encephalitis and admitted to intensive care, but his condition deteriorated rapidly, and he passed away on the sixth day of illness, Lo said. This also marks Taiwan’s third enterovirus-related death this year and the first severe