Both the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislative caucuses yesterday said they plan to propose a binding legislative resolution to limit the government’s “product placements” in news reports.
DPP caucus whip Kuan Bi-ling (管碧玲) said her caucus is mulling introducing a cap regulating the number of advertorials the government is allowed to place in the media to prevent it from compromising the independence of the media.
KMT caucus secretary-general Lin Tsang-min (林滄敏), meanwhile, said his caucus will propose prohibiting the government from buying political advertorials when legislators proceed to the final review of the central government’s fiscal budget request for next year.
Lin said that reports promoting the government’s policies should all be marked as “advertisements,” while the government should be banned from featuring specific government officials in ads.
The controversy over the government’s practice of product placement in the media came under scrutiny after Dennis Huang (黃哲斌), senior reporter of the Chinese-language China Times, recently resigned in protest against what he called an “invasion of regular news pages by advertorials.”
Huang, who worked for the China Times for more than 16 years, launched a signature campaign afterwards, opposing the use of advertorials by politicians across party lines, saying that the practice had become rampant under both the KMT and the DPP governments.
On Sunday, more than 100 reporters and professors of communications at various universities signed a petition calling on the government to stop resorting to advertorials, a practice they claim has grown substantially under President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) administration.
The outcry prompted Ma later that day to promise that the government would not be engaged in any advertorials for political purposes while the government’s campaign to promote policies should all be marked as ads.
Premier Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) on Tuesday conceded the government had failed to address the issue over the past two years as previously promised after Ma was elected president.
At a separate setting yesterday, KMT Secretary-General King Pu-tsung (金溥聰) acknowledged the difficulty of solving the problem in a short time.
King said the Ma administration and the KMT would work closely to stop all government agencies, especially local governments, from “purchasing news coverage” to promote government policies or events.
In an interview with UFO Radio yesterday, King added: “The issue of advertorials is an old and complicated problem that started under the former DPP government ... At least we are acknowledging the problem now and are willing to solve the problem.”
King also shrugged off an accusation by the DPP that he was presenting a class at National Chengchi University as a means to promote government propaganda.
King yesterday confirmed he will offer a course at the university next semester on political communication, but dismissed concerns that he will use the course to promote the KMT’s political ideologies.
As an adjunct associate professor in the Department of Journalism at the university, King said he is required to present courses and had already taught the same course in February.
Rather than challenging his teaching of a course at the university while serving as a top KMT official, he said, the DPP should check and see whether the content of his course was biased before making any criticisms.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as