A symposium on the South China Sea was told on Thursday that Beijing’s naval buildup over the last decade was focused “almost solely” on Taiwan.
Bernard Cole of the US’ National War College added that this was particularly true with respect to China’s “dramatic construction program for conventionally powered submarines.”
He was responding to Marvin Ott, a public policy scholar at the Washington-based Woodrow Wilson Center, who had asked: “Why is China building so much capacity so fast?”
Ott said that at some undefinable moment in the last 18 months, a point was passed in Chinese military and political growth that made Southeast Asia “palpably nervous.”
“It does not take much imagination to see an increasingly problematic security situation, with a very large question mark over Beijing,” he said. “What are the Chinese up to? What is their intent? What do they have in mind? In that environment, the US becomes an important guarantor of autonomy and freedom of action.”
Ott said there was a “perception that the growth of Chinese power is now becoming scary.”
“That wasn’t true before,” he said. “Why have the Chinese, who have been so diplomatically skilled over the last 20 years, suddenly become so tone deaf? The Chinese are not listening. It has suddenly become all bare-knuckle demands. How the Chinese went from being so sophisticated and skilled in this arena to becoming so primitive, I don’t have an answer.”
The symposium, organized by the Heritage Foundation in Washington, heard from Dean Cheng (成斌), a research fellow in the Asian Studies Center at Heritage, that the Chinese military perceive the US to be a “declining power.”
In addition, the West has been talking a lot about the rise of China.
Cheng said: “If you keep saying that someone else is the wave of the future they might actually come to believe you.”
And third, Cheng said, the younger generation now emerging in China has been brought up on boasts about their country’s remarkable achievements.
“They don’t think China should play a secondary role or walk softly when its capabilities are so great,” he said.
The symposium was told that there is now a “lot of swagger” in Beijing and a real “intoxication with power.”
Cole said the Chinese military was concerned about “post-Taiwan” and military planners were “seeking desperately” for military scenarios after Taiwan’s expected reunification.
The planners were concerned, he said, that it might become difficult to justify a continuing increase in military budgets. And this in turn could lead to “a harder attitude towards Taiwan.”
Asked how the new US Congress — voted into power earlier this week in the midterm elections — might change Asian policy, Walter Lohman, director of Asian Studies at Heritage, said that Taiwan would certainly become a bigger issue on Capitol Hill.
“But there is a limit constitutionally to what Congress can do. In the case of pending arms sales to Taiwan — F-16 sales — Congress can’t compel that to happen. That still has to come from the president. You will find a willing audience in Congress for it, but the president is the one who has to make the decision,” he said.
The symposium was asked if there was a chance that China would use force to back its claims in the South China Sea.
Cheng replied: “China does not seem to have much experience, nor much concern, with the issue of inadvertent escalation and accidental war. China’s wars have generally been the result of somebody deliberately choosing to go to war.”
“So, could a low-level incident involving fishing boats or rocky outcroppings spiral out of control? Could efforts at de-escalation by the US be seen as weakness?” Cheng said.
That kind of “potential for miscalculation,” Cheng said, could lead to “very significant ramifications.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as