The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday said dengue fever was spreading to northern parts of the country, with nine new cases confirmed in Taipei County last week, of which three were indigenous.
Two of the indigenous cases were in Wugu Township (五股) and the other in Sanchong City (三重), CDC Deputy Director Lin Ting (林頂) said.
Health officials were closely monitoring the situation in Wugu, where eight of the total 11 indigenous cases confirmed in Taipei County have occurred and where more cases are expected amid signs of a cluster infection.
Of the more than 800 indigenous cases reported since August, 11 were from Taipei County, two in Taipei City, one in Taoyuan County and the remainder concentrated in Kaohsiung, Tainan and other parts of the south, Lin said.
The CDC announced the establishment of a central epidemic command center last week to deal with the outbreak, which hit southern parts of the country in the summer.
Although only a small number of isolated cases have been reported in the north in recent weeks, officials said they remained on the alert and would pay close attention to any signs the disease is moving northward.
To this end, the Department of Health has set up a dengue screening station to provide free blood tests.
The CDC said residents in the north, especially in Wugu, should not be complacent, even if the incidence remains low.
Health officials also advised residents to keep living areas clean and dry, especially given the heavy rain experienced in recent days, because mosquitoes carrying the virus tend to proliferate in places and containers where water accumulates.
While the CDC expects the number of infections to drop slightly as the weather becomes cooler, health officials were still taking precautions to minimize the chances of the disease re-emerging after winter.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated