Director of China’s Taiwan Affairs Office Wang Yi (王毅) ended a mid-week visit to Washington by urging US President Barack Obama to stop selling arms to Taiwan.
Sources say that he argued the arms sales could only damage cross-strait relations and harm Sino-US ties.
While both sides were anxious to avoid even the appearance of disagreement, US officials said later that the State Department had taken a firm stand and refused to make any concessions on the issue.
Wang’s meetings were at the highest level, signaling that Taiwan remains a top priority within the administration.
Wang talked with Deputy Secretary of State James Steinberg on Wednesday and with US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Assistant Secretary of State Kurt Campbell on Thursday. He also talked with the National Security Council’s Senior Director of Asian Affairs Jeff Bader.
“This, again, underscores ongoing consultations that we have on a variety of regional security issues,” State Department spokesman Philip Crowley said.
Asked if Wang had delivered a “major message” from Beijing, Crowley said: “I don’t know that we have a major message. We have certainly encouraged dialogue between China and Taiwan. It is in our interest, we believe it’s in China’s interest, to develop a sustainable relationship between the two.”
Pressed to address the talks between Wang and the US on arms sales to Taiwan, Crowley said: “Well, first of all, we follow our law, and our activities in that area are guided by the Taiwan Relations Act. We fully understand that our support to provide for — help provide for — Taiwan’s legitimate defensive needs is an issue for China. I wouldn’t be surprised if we — if that was part of the discussion.”
Wang arrived in New York on Tuesday and attended a reception for Chinese and Taiwanese nationals living in the city before he flew to Washington the next day.
China’s Xinhua News Agency reported that while in Washington, Wang told the Obama administration that he hoped the US would continue to stand firm on its one China policy, abide by the principles of the three China-US joint communiques and support the peaceful development of cross-strait ties.
“During the meetings, Wang also expressed China’s solemn position on US arms sales to Taiwan,” the agency said.
In a speech given at the New York reception Wang said that deepening economic cooperation was still a priority for the stable development of cross-strait relations.
“Moreover, people-to-people exchanges in such fields as culture and education shall also be enhanced in a healthy and orderly manner. The cross-strait relationship is still facing many unsolved disputes and conflicts as well as new challenges,” he said. “Both sides need to build mutual trust, seek common ground while shelving differences and disputes and strive to create win-win results which is a guarantee for the stable development of ties.”
According to Xinhua, Wang stressed that opposing “the secessionist activities of the Taiwan independence forces and sticking with the 1992 consensus” is the basis for building mutual trust.
“We must send a clear message: We oppose Taiwan independence in various forms and we must take a firm stand to maintain the hard-earned good situation in cross-strait relations,” Wang said.
As previously reported in the Taipei Times, Wang said that both sides had agreed to tackle the easier, economic issues first, but that this was not absolute, because some seemingly easy issues were difficult and some economic issues were political.
The Mainland Affairs Council said later that Taipei and Beijing had “touched” on political issues, but said all cross-strait agreements signed over the past two years had been economic in nature.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as