Local labor rights groups staged a demonstration in Taipei yesterday against what they said was the illegal import of Chinese workers by electronics manufacturers in Taiwan.
According to the groups, Chinese workers were brought to Taiwan under the guise of being highly skilled professionals, who are -legally allowed to stay in Taiwan for extended periods, but were discovered working in factories operated by Young Fast Optoelectronics Co, ASE Group and AU Optronics Corp.
Chu Cheng-chi (朱政麒), a spokesman for the protesters, said such illegal activities could be behind the sharp increase in Chinese businesspeople and highly skilled professionals visiting Taiwan in recent years.
Citing statistics from the -National Immigration Agency, Chu said 180,000 applications by Chinese businesspeople and professionals to visit Taiwan were approved last year, up from 90,000 the previous year. As of August, more than 160,000 such applications had been -approved, with the total number expected to top 200,000 by the end of this year, Chu said.
He said the situation, if proven true, would run counter to the government’s promise “not to open Taiwan to Chinese laborers,” and he demanded that the agency and the Council of Labor Affairs investigate the matter.
The Chinese-language Next Magazine reported on Wednesday that the practice was especially widespread among major electronics manufacturers that have a strong commercial presence in China. The allegations have prompted opposition lawmakers to urge the -government to crack down on -companies using Chinese labor in Taiwan under false pretenses.
Speaking in an interpellation on the legislative floor on Friday, Council of Labor Affairs Minister Jennifer Wang (王如玄) said that the council had never issued any work permits to citizens of the People’s Republic of China, as stipulated by the Act Governing Relations Between the Peoples of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area (臺灣地區與大陸地區人民關係條例).
According to Article 95 of the act, introducing workers from China into Taiwan would require approval by the Legislative Yuan, Wang said.
Addressing the issue at the same session, Premier Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) suggested that companies or organizations inviting Chinese citizens to Taiwan for training should have them wear special vests to prevent people from “trying to pass fish eyes for pearls.”
He added that Taiwan would not allow Chinese citizens to enter Taiwan for employment under the guise of receiving training or attending courses.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as