With the Nov. 27 special municipality elections drawing closer, the procurement scandals related to the Taipei International Flora Expo have become the focal point for disagreements between the pan-blue and the pan-green camp.
President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday led an offensive against the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), criticizing its continuous attacks over the flora expo.
“Both the governing and the opposition parties should support the flora expo just as they did for the Kaohsiung World Games last year,” Ma said. “The DPP’s constant attacks on the expo will only result in a lose-lose situation that not only ruins the expo but also shames the country.”
“The flora expo is not just Taipei City’s flora expo but also the whole of Taiwan’s flora expo. This exposition will stand as a testament to Taiwan’s important role in the world of horticulture,” he said, reiterating his confidence that Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) would hold a successful flora expo, scheduled to open on Nov. 6 and run through April 25 next year.
Responding to Ma’s remarks, DPP spokesperson Lin Yu-chang (林右昌) said it is the opposition’s responsibility to supervise the government and that the DPP also hopes for a successful flora expo.
“Hau has only himself to blame for having screwed up the expo thus far” with a string of allegations that his team paid unreasonably high prices for flowers, vegetation and exhibition items slated for the expo.
Amid a string of procurement scandals related to the Taipei International Flora Exposition and the Xinsheng Overpass, Hau on Monday announced he had approved the resignation of his deputy mayor Lee Yong-ping (李永萍), adviser Chuang Wen-ssu (莊文思) and Chuang’s wife, Ren Shiao-chi (任孝琦), a secretary in Hau’s office.
The move came weeks after the city government was accused of buying flowers for the Taipei International Flora Expo and drainage piping for the Xinsheng Overpass at highly inflated prices. The city government’s slow response to the allegations only exacerbated the situation and hurt Hau’s image, costing him support in opinion polls less than three months before the election.
A poll conducted by the Chinese-language China Times suggested yesterday that Hau’s election opponent, Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) of the DPP, now enjoys a support rate of 41 percent, two percentage points ahead of Hau.
When asked to comment on the poll, Hau said he would continue to work hard to win public support. He added that he was confident Taipei residents would recognize his hard work and competence when the city government successfully hosts the 2010 Taipei International Flora Expo.
Su, at a separate setting yesterday, said that it was still too early to call the election result as the difference in support between the two main candidates falls within the margin of error.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CNA AND STAFF WRITER
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as