President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday lauded a cross-strait agreement on judicial assistance signed last year, saying it had helped dramatically reduce phone scams.
Since Taipei and Beijing signed an accord on mutual judicial assistance and cross-strait cooperation on fighting crime in June last year, more than 3,000 criminal suspects or fugitives had been sent back from China and phone scams had showed a significant decline, the president said.
“Thanks to mutual cooperation, both Taiwanese and Chinese swindlers have had a hard time making deceiving telephone calls,” Ma said.
Ma made the remarks while meeting volunteer traffic controllers and community patrols at the Presidential Office yesterday morning.
CASES CRACKED
Ma said volunteer police had helped police forces crack 106 cases of phone scams between January last year and this month.
According to National Police Agency statistics, there were 17,862 fraud cases reported in the first seven months of this year, down 22 percent compared with the same period last year. Though these reflect all cases of reported fraud, the decline was similar for scam calls, officials said.
NUMBERS FALLING
Ma also said he had heard from friends that they “clearly had the feeling” that the number of scam phone calls had fallen.
As telephone scams were a new kind of crime, Ma said the public seemed to have become more vigilant following the government’s aggressive efforts to curb such illegal acts.
“However, it baffles me why some people are still fooled by the tricks,” the president said, adding that some of the victims were civil servants or individuals with high levels of education.
While the problem of phone scams has yet to be rooted out — a challenge that is exacerbated by the fact that criminals operate on both sides of the Taiwan Strait and with judicial cooperation still in the nascent stages — Ma urged the public to remain alert as criminals “have a finger in every pie.”
ANGRY OR AMUSED
Because of the prevalence of phone scams, Ma said he did not know whether to “feel angry or amused” when the Presidential Office called up disadvantaged groups to express concern about their situation, but those receiving the phone call thought it was some kind of scam.
The president said their reaction might be a good thing because people seem to be more careful when receiving suspicious phone calls.
“When you have more phone scams, trust among the public gradually collapses,” he said.
Meanwhile, with the Mid-Autumn Festival approaching, Ma yesterday called on the public to purchase moon cakes from bakeries run by physically and mentally challenged people.
This year’s Mid-Autumn Festival falls on Sept. 22.
Additional reporting by CNA and Staff Writer
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as