More than 100 residents from Miaoli County’s Jhunan Township (竹南) and their supporters staged demonstrations again in front of the Executive Yuan and the Presidential Office yesterday, urging the central government to intervene in the county government’s takeover of their land.
“Help us! We’re about to become homeless,” Huang Shu-e (黃淑娥), a resident of Jhunan’s Dapu (大埔), a farming village, told the crowd in front of the Presidential Office.
Holding up a picture of four police officers hauling her away from her rice paddy on Monday, Huang broke down in tears.
PHOTO: CHIEN JUNG-FONG, TAIPEI TIMES
“What crime have I committed? [Miaoli County Commissioner] Liu Cheng-hung [劉政鴻] is taking away our land. Is it a crime to defend our land?” she asked.
Huang said she has been a farmer all her life. She owns a 4,800m² plot on which she not only plants rice but has also built a three-story house.
“Now they’re taking over my land, along with my house, and are going to compensate me with NT$2 million [US$62,000]. What can I do with NT$2 million?” Huang said.
She said she wouldn’t get rich farming, but at least she wouldn’t have a problem making a living on the farm.
“When the county government takes away my land and my house, I’ll have to get a mortgage to buy another house and find a job to pay the mortgage,” she said. “What job can I find when I’m almost 50 years old?”
Huang’s land is among the 28 hectares that the government is expropriating to expand Jhunan Science Park.
LAND TITLES
Although many Dapu farmers have refused to hand their land titles to the county government, the government insists it completed the legal process required for acquiring as well as transferring land ownership earlier this year.
On June 9, the county government unexpectedly sent in excavators to dig up some of the rice paddies in Dapu. On Wednesday last week, the farmers and their supporters staged demonstrations in front of the Presidential Office and the Control Yuan and received a promise from the Presidential Office that it would look into the issue and give them an answer within a week.
However, the county government flattened most of rice paddies in the village on Monday.
Hsieh Chien-hsiang (謝見祥), an elderly farmer from the Erchongpu (二重埔) community in Jhudong Township (竹東), Hsinchu County, which is facing a similar problem, was at the rally to voice his support for fellow farmers.
“Why do we need so many factories, especially when we have such a low food self-sufficiency rate?” Hsieh asked. “If one day, the import of food supplies and crops are blocked, how will we feed our children and grandchildren?”
After getting promises from Presidential Office and the Executive Yuan to “look further into the issue,” the demonstrators moved to Huashan 1914 Creative Park, where President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) was attending a conference on environmental protection, hoping that the president would listen to them.
Though demonstrators shouted as Ma walked out of the venue, he left without acknowledging them.
The county government will proceed with the construction as scheduled, said Chiang Sung-mao (姜松茂), director of Miaoli County’s Economic Development Department.
‘NO CONTROVERSY’
“We’ve completed all the legal process, there’s no controversy, we’re acting according to the law,” he said by telephone.
The latest wave of farmers’ protest highlights the difficulty faced by local technology firms in acquiring land to build factories.
Chimei Innolux Corp, the nation’s biggest LCD panel maker, yesterday said it would bid for the land to build new factories in Miaoli only after the county government has solved the land acquisition dispute, according to company spokesman Eddie Chen (陳彥松).
Chimei’s rival, AU Optronics Corp, also faced a similar problem and was forced to put on hold the construction of a new advanced factory in central Taiwan.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY LISA WANG
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) yesterday appealed to the authorities to release former Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) from pretrial detention amid conflicting reports about his health. The TPP at a news conference on Thursday said that Ko should be released to a hospital for treatment, adding that he has blood in his urine and had spells of pain and nausea followed by vomiting over the past three months. Hsieh Yen-yau (謝炎堯), a retired professor of internal medicine and Ko’s former teacher, said that Ko’s symptoms aligned with gallstones, kidney inflammation and potentially dangerous heart conditions. Ko, charged with