The Washington-based Formosan Association for Public Affairs (FAPA) expressed “deep disappointment” at the latest development in the embezzlement and corruption case against former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) and his wife, Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍).
The Taiwan High Court on Friday upheld a lower court ruling in September last year that found Chen and Wu guilty of embezzling state funds, committing forgery and laundering some of the money through Swiss bank accounts.
The High Court reduced Chen’s life sentence to 20 years in prison, and Wu’s life sentence to 20 years and cut her fine from NT$300 million to NT$200 million. Six of the other eight defendants, including Chen’s son and daughter-in-law, also saw their sentences reduced. Chen’s lawyers said they would appeal the verdict.
FAPA, the largest group representing the Taiwanese community in the US, said the High Court’s ruling only served to demonstrate that Taiwan’s judiciary “is still tainted by its repressive past.”
“The reduction of the sentences does not take away the fact that the trial has been highly partisan and unfair,” FAPA president Bob Yang (楊英育) said. “In any democratic country, the severe flaws in the judicial process and the obvious bias of the prosecution would have been ample reason to throw the case out of court and dismiss the charges.”
“Taiwan needs fundamental judicial reform to bring it into the 21st century and in line with the principles of a democracy in which there is clear separation of powers,” he said.
In a statement, FAPA said that both the democratic opposition in Taiwan and international scholars, such as former Harvard Law professor Jerome Cohen, had cited “persistent partisanship and lack of fairness” in the proceedings against Chen.
The statement said there was also frequent abuse by prosecutors who leaked damaging information about Chen to the press.
According to the statement, Bruce Jacobs of Monash University in Australia said the Chen case would “continue to haunt the legal system” in Taiwan.
Jacobs was quoted as saying that it was inappropriate for Chen to be kept in detention during the trial and appeal process and that the reasons given by the court for the continued detention were “flimsy.”
Chen was first detained at the Taipei Detention Center on Nov. 12, 2008, and released on Dec. 13, 2008, after he was indicted. He was detained again on Dec. 30, 2008, and has remained in detention since.
On April 16, High Court Judge Teng Chen-chiu (鄧振球) ruled that Chen should remain in custody for two more months, until June 23.
The court will decide before June 23 whether to detain him for another two months.
In Taipei yesterday, former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) declined to comment when asked by reporters whether the court violated Chen’s human rights by keeping him in custody for the duration of the trial.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY KO SHU-LING AND STAFF WRITER
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as