In a bid to investigate alleged links between Taichung police and local gangsters, Taichung Mayor Jason Hu (胡志強) yesterday said he had asked police to go through surveillance camera tapes from the crime scene where a suspected gang leader was gunned down on Friday last week.
“We have just retrieved video clips for the last seven days, and they have been transferred to prosecutors for investigation,” said Hu, who has come under intense pressure amid public outrage over the presence of four police officers at the scene of the shooting. They were reportedly playing mahjong and hid under a table when Weng Chi-nan (翁奇楠) was shot.
Hu said he understood that police officers maintain “certain relations with gangsters” to further investigations, but whether police officers have been too close to gang members needed to be assessed.
PHOTO: CNA
Taichung police chief Hu Mu-yuan (胡木源) reportedly kept him in the dark for five days after investigators uncovered the presence of the four officers at the scene of the shooting and the police chief resigned on Thursday night. His replacement is Chiu Feng-kuang (邱豐光), who was deputy head of the National Police Agency’s Criminal Investigation Bureau.
Some critics have voiced suspicions that Jason Hu was in the know and that Hu Mu-yuan was a mere scapegoat.
Jason Hu yesterday said the reason he approved Hu Mu-yuan’s resignation was because the police report on the shooting was unclear.
“A lot of questions were left unanswered. This report did not convince me. How is it supposed to convince Taichung residents?” he said.
Meanwhile, a police officer from Tainan County’s Yujing Precinct was detained yesterday for alleged links to gangsters and suspected criminal activities.
“We have been investigating Lin Mao-hsiung [林茂雄] for a while because of his complicated relationship with gang members,” Tainan County Police Department Chief Inspector Wang Chi-hsing (王啟興) said.
“The internal affairs department is now investigating and trying to establish if more officers are involved,” Wang said.
Shen Bao-chien (沈堡墘), lieutenant of the county’s Shiuejia Precinct’s investigation team, was also implicated but prosecutors released him without bail.
Additional reporting by CNA and staff writer
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as