The Referendum Review Committee is set to deliver a verdict tomorrow on the validity of a referendum question asking voters whether they agree with the government's plans to sign an economic cooperation framework agreement (ECFA) with China.
Opposition parties, including the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) and the Taiwan Solidarity Union (TSU), have rallied behind the question, saying that a public vote is essential before President Ma Ying-jeou's (馬英九) administration can move forward on the controversial trade agreement.
A number of senior government officials, however, have said that the referendum is unnecessary as an ECFA would have to be ratified by the legislature before it becomes valid. The proposed pact could be signed this month.
They added that the committee should turn down the proposal because it did not fit the criteria of the Referendum Act (公民投票法).
Speaking at a public hearing on Friday, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Chao Chien-min (趙建民) said that an ECFA was an economic agreement touching on taxation and tariff issues — which under the act cannot be subject to a public vote.
At a press conference yesterday, the TSU called on the committee to deliver the verdict in an impartial manner and raised concerns about government interference affecting the final decision.
A similar proposal by the DPP was rejected by the committee last year after it ruled that the referendum question was based on a hypothetical situation that did not meet the Referendum Act’s criteria.
“The Taiwanese government has for the past year been pushing for this ECFA with China as an important national policy. Despite multiple negotiations, the government still has not disclosed the content of the agreement,” TSU Chairman Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) said.
“This has created many unanswered questions for the public. Under the circumstances, we think that only through a referendum can we resolve this deeply controversial issue,” he said.
Huang said that the president has repeatedly called the proposed ECFA “a piece of national policy,” which would qualify it for a plebiscite under Section 2 of the Referendum Act.
Former vice president Annette Lu (呂秀蓮) said that if an ECFA were to be signed and became valid without first holding a public vote, “it would be an offense against democracy.”
“The [committee] cannot take away the people's basic rights to decide on such an important piece of national policy. It should not be signed without public consent,” Lu said.
Former presidential adviser Koo Kwang-ming (辜寬敏) also expressed concern that an ECFA would be a stepping stone for unification with China.
The referendum proposal, which has so far received near 200,000 petitions, was initiated in February. Party officials say they hope that the referendum can be put to the ballot box as early as Nov. 27, together with the special municipality elections.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as