Neither the Sports Affairs Council (SAC) nor the Asian Taekwondo Union (ATU) has received notice from the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) that Taiwan's right to participate in international taekwondo competitions has been suspended, SAC Deputy Minister Chen Hsien-tsung (陳顯宗) said yesterday.
Chen made the remarks after Coleman Lee (李正勇), a Taiwanese member of the WTF Council, was quoted by local media as saying that the ATU president told him that the union was dissatisfied with the Chinese Taipei Taekwondo Association's (CTTA) penalty against Zheng Dawei (鄭大為), who served as the referee at the East Asian Games in Hong Kong last year.
Zheng was one of the referees for a 72kg-level championship match where Taiwanese athlete Tseng Ching-hsiang (曾敬翔) was scheduled to compete against a South Korean opponent. Tseng was punched in the throat, a move many people believed was a malicious attack. Zheng, however, ruled the South Korean athlete scored, which also helped the athlete secure the championship.
Minister without Portfolio Ovid Tseng (曾志朗), who led the Taiwanese team at the East Asian Games and watched the entire match on the sideline, protested against what he saw as an unfair ruling as soon as the match was over.
When he returned to Taiwan, Zheng said in a television interview that Ovid Tseng had no right to protest and may be seen as intending to cause riots. Because of the comment, the CTTA's disciplinary committee suspended Zheng from coaching taekwondo and refereeing for three years. The committee later decided to reinstate his right to be a referee, but his right to coach remained suspended.
Lee was reported by local media as saying that the penalty was perceived as an outright challenge to the ATU's authority.
In a brief statement issued on Monday night, the SAC said it would use every means possible to resolve this matter, adding that it was trying to contact Lee and ask him to do everything he can to communicate this matter with the ATU.
The SAC said it has also asked Wu Ching-kuo (吳經國), a Taiwanese member at the International Olympic Committee, for assistance.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated