A 500-plus-page report provided by the government on the proposed economic cooperation framework agreement (ECFA) ahead of a debate this weekend will likely end up in the recycling bin, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, adding that it did not cover what the party had requested.
The report, compiled by the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC), was meant to provide information requested by the DPP about the proposed ECFA ahead of Sunday’s debate between President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and DPP Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文).
Included in the report was information on the MAC’s testimonies to the legislature along with press releases, Web page printouts and government opinion polls concerning the controversial trade pact with China.
It did not include some of the demands made by the DPP that government agencies provide specific information on the content of an ECFA ahead of the debate.
“We wanted apples and they gave us guavas; this is all information that is already public and none of it is what we wanted,” DPP spokesperson Tsai Chi-chang (蔡其昌) said. “All they succeeded in doing is waste a lot of paper.”
Three officials from the 胥xecutive Yuan and MAC delivered the 4.5cm-thick document to DPP party headquarters in Taipei yesterday afternoon.
Speaking at the scene, Executive Yuan Deputy Secretary-胃eneral Chen Ching-tsai (陳慶財) said: “President Ma asked that government agencies organize their relevant information and provide them to Chairperson Tsai for reference.”
Chen protested when Tsai Chi-chang began opening the package in front of TV cameras, saying it was addressed to DPP Secretary-General Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) and the DPP chairperson.
He left the scene before Tsai Chi-chang said the document did not contain the information the DPP had requested. It was unclear if the government officials heard Tsai’s remarks that he would “throw the papers in the recycling bin or re-use them as scrap paper.”
The DPP requested the information earlier this month, saying the debate between Ma and Tsai Ing-wen would be lopsided if the oppositon party did not have access to the same information on the trade pact as the president.
The party requested details of the “early harvest” list, the draft texts of the agreement and studies used in calculating an ECFA’s impact on Taiwan.
Its requests have been supported by a number of political and labor organizations, including the non-profit civic watchdog group Citizen Congress Watch.
Meanwhile, the Presidential Office said it was not surprised the DPP had not provided them with the information they requested on an ECFA in the run-up to Sunday’s debate.
Presidential Office spokesman Lo Chih-chiang (羅智強) said the Presidential Office asked the Executive Yuan to send somebody to personally deliver the information to it yesterday and that Tsai Ing-wen should do the same. The public would judge who was more sincere about being transparent during the process, he said.
“It should be reciprocal,” he said. “The way they deal with the matter is like using chopsticks to stir an egg after cracking it open.”
The Presidential Office was initially reluctant to provide information to the DPP, but two weeks ago Ma instructed government agencies, including the MAC and the Ministry of Economic Affairs, to give “public information” to Tsai.
Ma claimed that since the negotiations on the proposed accord have been underway for more than a year, the information on an ECFA in the public domain is sufficient. He also insisted that officials not provide Tsai any information that would undermine cross-strait negotiations on the planned accord.
On Monday last week, Ma again asked the two agencies to produce the information before yesterday, adding that Tsai also should provide him with some information by yesterday, for fairness’ sake. He requested information on why the opposition opposed the pact and what alternatives it would suggest if the proposed accord were not signed.
Tsai Chi-chang said at the time that the administration was “good for nothing” because it asked an opposition party to provide them with information on something it was not party to.
On whether the Presidential Office has changed its mind to support a referendum, Lo said whether they were in favor of a referendum or not was beside the point because it was up to the initiator to launch the campaign and complete the process as stipulated in the 苧eferendum Act (公投法).
“But even if we are not against it, it does not necessarily mean we are in favor,” he said.
Asked whether the Referendum Review Committee would use technicalities to boycott the proposal, as happened with the first bid for a referendum, Lo said it was unlikely because the committee was “fair and free of political interference.”
Lo said Ma never said he opposed referendum bids launched in accordance with the law and that he merely “pointed out the fact” that it was not the norm for a country to mount a referendum to decide whether to sign a free-trade agreement with another country.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as