The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday turned the spotlight on what it said was a potential for kickbacks to government officials and their relatives should an economic cooperation framework agreement (ECFA) be signed between Taiwan and China.
The DPP promised to push for an investigation after reports showed that a number of senior officials have family or relatives involved in business with China.
While a business trip last week by Vice President Vincent Siew’s (蕭萬長) daughter, Joy Siew (蕭至佑), to the Boao Forum in China drew media attention, her case may be just the tip of the iceberg, DPP spokesperson Tsai Chi-chang (蔡其昌) said.
Another case cited by the DPP includes Premier Wu Den-yih’s (吳敦義) son, Wu Chi-lian (吳子廉), who was accused by lawmakers last year of involvement with Chinese firms in an attempted takeover of Nan Shan Life Insurance Co.
In addition, Liu Chao-kai (劉兆凱), chairman of TECO Electric and Machinery and brother of former premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄), is responsible for wind power investments into the Chinese market, the party said.
“We are asking that the government investigate whether any … senior official or their family members are involved in business dealings with China before [and if] an ECFA is signed in June,” Tsai said.
The spokesperson also said the government should take a closer look at whether any of the officials involved in cross-strait negotiations could potentially receive any benefits.
Liu Chien-sin (劉建忻), deputy director of policy research for the DPP, said the party had concerns that an ECFA, if signed, would benefit large corporations with business ties in China rather than small and medium companies.
A statement later released by the DPP said that both Straits Exchange Foundation Chairman Chiang Pin-kung’s (江丙坤) son and wife were involved in business deals that could be affected by cross-strait relations.
The party also said that a relative of former National Security Council secretary-general Su Chi (蘇起) has been involved in multimillion-dollar business deals in China.
“The people with the potential to receive kickbacks shouldn’t be asking themselves whether they can go [to China], but rather whether they should be going, or what they would be doing there,” Tsai said, adding that President Ma ying-jeou’s (馬英九) administration hasn’t done enough to curb potential conflicts of interest.
“We want a thorough investigation of all cross-strait investments, business deals or any other activities that could result in kickbacks for cross-strait negotiators and [for the government] to deliver it to the public clearly,” Tsai said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as