Filmmakers and TV crew who shoot in the nation’s capital could receive discounts on lodging, food, drink and transportation of as much as 60 percent amid efforts by the Taipei City Government to attract more film crews as a way of promoting the city.
Joined by movie stars, filmmakers and business representatives, Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) announced yesterday that the Taipei Film Commission would offer a “production concessionary card” to crews that shoot most of their scenes in Taipei.
Filmmakers can apply to the commission for the card and use it at 60 participating businesses, including hotels, laundries, restaurants, cafes and rental car services, during the period of production.
PHOTO: CHEN CHING-MIN, TAIPEI TIMES
The discounts range from 30 percent to 60 percent.
“We want to provide practical assistance to the film industry so that more filmmakers will be willing to shoot in Taipei,” Hau said at Taipei City Hall.
Lee Yu-ning (李佑寧), a well-known director and a member of the commission, said the idea came from a move by New York City, which provides a “Made in NY” discount card to filmmakers.
The large number of film crews shooting in the US city also brought more business for local hotels, eateries and related industries, he said.
“Our ultimate goal is to create a win-win situation for Taipei City and the film industry,” he said.
New York City processes about 1,000 applications to shoot in the city every week, which has created more than 100,000 jobs, statistics from the commission showed.
The commission was formed in 2008 by Taipei City’s Department of Cultural Affairs to provide assistance and financial support to local and foreign filmmakers.
However, the city only began to take more assertive steps to create a “movie friendly” environment after it missed out on the hit TV drama Black & White (痞子英雄), which was shot in Kaohsiung and highlighted many of the city’s landmarks.
The commission provided substantial financial and administrative support for the Taiwanese movie Monga (艋舺) last year. The movie, which was filmed exclusively in Taipei, received a NT$4 million (US$120,000) subsidy from the commission.
The commission budgeted NT$30 million to finance films this year and has appropriated NT$10 million for seven local films selected for sponsorship for the first half of the year.
The commission was also involved in coproductions with 18 countries, including the US, Japan, South Korea and India, she said.
Hau said the city government would attempt to encourage more local businesses to offer discounts to filmmakers.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as