Aboriginal groups yesterday filed a petition to the Control Yuan accusing the government of illegally declaring some Aboriginal areas “special zones” with bans on certain human activities.
The government earlier this month released a list of Aboriginal “special areas” that were not safe for habitation after Typhoon Morakot wreaked havoc in the south and east last August.
The designation became effective for the first three Aboriginal villages in Taitung and Pingtung Counties yesterday.
PHOTO: LO PEI-DER, TAIPEI TIMES
Aboriginal groups protested outside the Control Yuan and filed a formal complaint.
“A clause in Article 20 of the Post-Typhoon Morakot Reconstruction Special Act [莫拉克颱風災後重建特別條例] stipulates that governments — central or local — should negotiate with residents and reach a consensus before restricting residence or evacuating villages,” Hsiao Shih-huei (蕭世暉), a member of the Association for Taiwan Indigenous Peoples’ Policies, said at the demonstration.
“The same law also calls for governments to follow the Indigenous Peoples’ Basic Law [原住民族基本法] when dealing with Aboriginal domains, and [that law] requires that the government get consent from Aboriginal residents before making a decision that affects Aboriginal domains,” Hsiao said.
Hsiao said the Post-Typhoon Morakot Reconstruction Commission did not reach a consensus with Aborigines before announcing its list of “special zones.”
“Did the government act according to the Indigenous Peoples’ Basic Law? No! Was there consensus before the special zone designation? No! Did the government act according to the reconstruction act? No!” Hsiao said. “This is a serious violation of the law and an abuse of power.”
Wutu Micyang, representative of the Taiwan Alliance of Aboriginal Communities for Action, echoed Hsiao’s view.
“The government not only did not reach consensus with Aborigines, it tried to trick us when it explained to us what ‘special zones’ were. They tried to hide the negative side of the policy and told us only good things about it,” Wutu said. “They said only what compensation and assistance Aborigines can receive once their land is declared a special zone, and even said the designation won’t affect our rights at all.”
“If special zones won’t affect our rights, then why does the government want them?” Wutu questioned.
Aboriginal rights activist Omi Wilang questioned why parts of Taichung County that were not affected by Morakot had been included on the list of restricted zones and wondered whether some areas were put on the list to make way for corporations to build resorts or recreational parks.
Control Yuan member Yu Teng-fang (余騰芳), who sits on a special panel that is investigating the government’s response in the aftermath of Morakot, accepted the petition and promised to launch a probe into it.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated