The Taiwan Root Medical Peace Corps had by yesterday organized a team of 60 medical personnel and volunteers to deliver medical help in Haiti, the organization’s president, Liu Chi-chun (劉啟群), said yesterday.
The team is scheduled to depart for Haiti on Tuesday.
“We at the Taiwan Root Medical Peace Corps have conducted visits to Haiti and the Dominican Republic to provide free medical services at least five times before,” he said. “We hope to drive over land to Haiti from the Dominican Republic as soon as possible, as we are familiar with the roads.”
PHOTO: CNA
The organization has been preparing medical supplies for its relief effort, which Liu said would hopefully be larger in scale than resources allowed after the 2004 tsunami in Southeast Asia, when a 51-person team delivered 2,600kg in medical supplies.
Meanwhile, Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Shen Lyu-hsun (沈呂巡) yesterday said the first Taiwanese rescue team of 23 people, which left on Tuesday night, had been forced to wait a few days in the Dominican Republic before proceeding to Haiti.
“The current situation in Haiti is very serious and the airport in Port-au-Prince is barely functioning,” Shen said on the sidelines of a ceremony marking the inauguration of the World Taiwanese Chamber of Commerce in Taipei. “It’s very difficult for planes to land and those that can land are unable to take off again because they don’t have fuel.”
“The flight clearance [for the Taiwanese rescue team] was postponed time and again. We initially expected it to arrive in Haiti early [Friday] morning, but then it was put off,” he said.
Getting to Haiti was “the biggest difficulty,” he said.
Later yesterday it was confirmed that the team would proceed to Haiti by land.
Lin Chien-chih (林謙志), the rescue team’s leader, said in a news clip broadcast by SET-TV yesterday that his team hoped to reach Haiti by land, although it had safety concerns given the risk of looting and the value of the supplies they were transporting.
In addition to Lin’s team, a rescue team of 33 professional rescuers, firefighters and military medical workers sent by the Red Cross Society of the Republic of China, the Taipei City Fire Department and Taipei Tri-Service General Hospital, took off from Taipei late last night.
More than 5,000kg of equipment and medical supplies were shipped to Haiti as well, said Steven Chen (陳士魁), secretary-general of the Red Cross Society of the Republic of China.
Shen also praised overseas Taiwanese businesspeople for helping rescue Taiwan’s injured ambassador and another official in Haiti after this week’s devastating earthquake.
“We extend our appreciation to Taiwanese businesspeople based in the Dominican Republic who helped charter a small plane that successfully landed in Port-au-Prince and picked up Ambassador Hsu Mien-sheng [徐勉生]. Fortunately, X-rays showed that Hsu does not have any broken bones, despite being buried in rubble for six hours,” Shen said, adding that Hsu is now in hospital and insists on returning to Haiti after finishing a 48-hour observation period.
The plane took Hsu and Consul Chi Wang-the (齊王德), who sustained a serious head injury, to the Dominican Republic for treatment.
On Taiwan’s collapsed embassy building in Haiti, Shen said that “the embassy still exists.”
“We are now using a Taiwanese businessman’s local office [as an embassy] and are flying the national flag there and continuing our services,” he said.
In other developments, President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday said the government was considering ways to express the nation’s sympathies to Haiti and would decide within a few days whether he should visit the Dominican Republic next week, when he is scheduled to make a state visit to Honduras.
“Haiti is one of 23 allies that have maintained long-tem relations with us. We would feel bad about visiting a nearby country without showing our support,” Ma said in Changhua County.
The Presidential Office and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said they were considering the option of arranging for Ma to visit the Dominican Republic.
Ma is scheduled to visit Honduras from Jan. 25 to Jan. 30 to attend the inauguration of president-elect Porfirio Lobo Sosa.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY JIMMY CHUANG AND STAFF WRITER
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as