Although the government last year reopened investigations into two suspected political murder cases, researchers who read reports produced by the renewed probe yesterday suggested the endeavor was not sincere.
At the request of President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), the Taiwan High Prosecutors’ office reopened the investigations into the murder of former Democratic Progressive Party chairman Lin Yi-hsiung’s (林義雄) mother and twin daughters in 1980, and the death of professor Chen Wen-chen (陳文成) in 1981.
Lin’s family was murdered on Feb. 28, 1980, while he was being detained on charges of insurrection after co-organizing a demonstration against the authoritarian regime.
PHOTO: CNA
Lin’s mother and twin daughters were found stabbed to death at home, while his eldest daughter was seriously injured.
The perpetrator and motive were never established, but the killings are widely believed to have been politically motivated, with some suggesting security agencies were involved.
Chen’s death occurred the following year. A statistics professor at Carnegie Melon University, Chen returned to Taiwan in July 1981 to visit family.
As he had been a long-time supporter of the Taiwanese democracy movement, Chen was interrogated by the Taiwan Garrison Command, which led a crackdown on anti-government activities.
The next morning Chen was found dead on the campus of National Taiwan University.
Some suspected Chen was tortured to death by the Taiwan Garrison Command — allegations the agency denied.
The garrison command said Chen could have committed suicide or accidentally fallen off a balcony.
“We had high expectations when Ma announced the investigations into these cases would be reopened, but we were very disappointed when we read the report from the Taiwan High Prosecutor’s Office,” said Wu Nai-teh (吳乃德), a research fellow in sociology at Academia Sinica.
“The special investigation panel did not pursue the new evidence it had discovered. Maybe this shows what Ma really has in mind,” Wu told a forum organized by the Taiwan Association for Truth and Reconciliation.
In the case of Lin’s mother and daughters, the prosecutors found that the murderer made a phone call from Lin’s house to a restaurant after committing the crime, but did not say anything.
Although police knew about the call, that fact has been hidden for the past 30 years.
“The phone call may have been a signal from the killer to whoever ordered the murder of Lin’s family members, and could have been key evidence in breaking the case” Wu said. “The investigation panel could find something if it tried to find out why the phone call was concealed.”
In addition, instead of interviewing Lin’s neighbors and relatives — who may have been too scared to tell the truth 30 years ago — the investigation panel relied on interview material gathered in 1980, Wu said.
As for Chen’s case, attorney Arthur Shay (謝穎青) said he was disappointed that the panel had not looked into contradictions in the 1981 investigation report. The new report treated many questionable “facts” listed in the old report as accurate, Shay said.
“The [old] report says Chen fell from the east side of the library, but his body was found on the north side. It says no broken branches were found at the site, yet Chen would have fallen through bushes before hitting the ground on the north side if he fell from the east side as the report says,” Shay said.
Michael Lin (林世煜), an independent researcher into political persecution during the Martial Law era and a volunteer at the Dr Chen Wen-cheng Memorial Foundation, said the renewed investigations were not aimed at discovering the truth of the matter.
“They reopened the investigations only to close the cases,” Lin said. “They obviously just wanted to prove that security agencies were not behind [them].”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as