The Tourism Bureau aims to attract more female tourists from Japan and South Korea this year with a music video featuring boy band Fahrenheit (飛輪海) and South Korean actress Ku Hye-sun.
The popular boy band has been the Tourism Bureau’s representative in Japan and South Korea for the last three years, while Ku, the lead actress in the popular South Korean TV series Boys Over Flowers, was chosen as the bureau’s representative for this year.
Members of Fahrenheit will act as tour guides for Ku as she visits tourist attractions around the nation and tries Taiwanese cuisine. Targeting women aged 35 and below, the music video will be entitled Touch Your Heart, which is also the name of the video’s theme song.
Cheng Yi-ping (鄭憶萍), section chief at the bureau’s international travel division, said that the bureau decided to choose Ku because she was famous.
“Boys Over Flowers has aired in Japan, South Korea and many Southeast Asian nations, so audiences in those countries will be familiar with her,” Cheng said. “She is very cute and has a very good image. When we asked her if she wanted to participate, she immediately said ‘yes.’”
So far Fahrenheit has taught Ku how to make Taiwanese spring rolls and she also learned to sing Taiwanese Opera at the National Center for Traditional Arts in Yilan County.
The crews started shooting the music video yesterday.
“Compared with the temperature in South Korea, which is about minus 10°C right now, the weather in Taiwan feels like spring,” Ku said.
The Tourism Bureau is also planning to shoot another music video to attract tourists from Southeast Asia. It will feature pop diva Jolin Tsai (蔡依林) and director Wu Nien-jen (吳念真).
Statistics from the Tourism Bureau showed that about 4.4 million people visited Taiwan last year, registering a 14 percent growth over 2008. About 2.3 million came for tourism, an increase of 29.7 percent over 2008.
The nation’s top four sources of tourists were Japan, China, Hong Kong and Macau.
Tourists from South Korea grew by 32 percent last month, halting a decline of 13 consecutive months.
In related news, the Tourism Bureau will today unveil the designs of the main lantern and the handheld lantern for this year’s Taiwan Lantern Festival, which will be held in Chiayi City at the end of next month.
Both the main lantern and handheld lantern, to be unveiled at the Grand Hotel, will feature a Tiger design for the year of the Tiger in the Chinese Zodiac.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) yesterday appealed to the authorities to release former Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) from pretrial detention amid conflicting reports about his health. The TPP at a news conference on Thursday said that Ko should be released to a hospital for treatment, adding that he has blood in his urine and had spells of pain and nausea followed by vomiting over the past three months. Hsieh Yen-yau (謝炎堯), a retired professor of internal medicine and Ko’s former teacher, said that Ko’s symptoms aligned with gallstones, kidney inflammation and potentially dangerous heart conditions. Ko, charged with