A remark Control Yuan President Wang Chien-shien (王建煊) made yesterday implying that Han people are smarter than Aborigines has sparked criticism from Aboriginal activists.
Wang made the remark at a seminar on human rights protection hosted by the Control Yuan. He was speaking about how the Control Yuan can help to protect Aboriginal rights.
He started by accusing the government of not doing enough to enhance Aboriginal rights, and said the Control Yuan would take punitive steps against government agencies that do not work hard enough to improve Aboriginal rights.
However, when discussing why Aborigines are in a disadvantaged position in local society, Wang said part of the reason was because Han people could easily outsmart Aborigines.
Council of Indigenous Peoples Minister Sun Ta-chuan (孫大川), who was present at the conference, defended Wang’s statement.
“If you put what he [Wang] said in context, he actually meant that the Aborigines are more trusting and more honest, so Aborigines are more likely to be deceived by Han people,” Sun said. “I think that’s quite true, according to my own experience.”
However, Sun’s defense did not convince Aboriginal activists.
“As the Control Yuan president, Wang should be more careful when talking,” convener of the Preparatory Committee for Saisiat Autonomy, Obay a Awi, told the Taipei Times by telephone. “No matter how you try to defend the remark, it’s just not something that an educated person and a high-ranking government official like Wang should have said.”
Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) Department of Aboriginal Affairs director Icyang Parod said Wang’s statement was “very inappropriate.”
“[Wang made] a very discriminatory remark out of very typical Han chauvinism,” Icyang said. “He has the traditional Chinese mentality that all ethnic minorities are backward peoples.”
“It’s very inappropriate,” he added.
Wang sparked controversy earlier this week when he praised President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) in an interview with the Chinese-language China Times, saying that Ma is an excellent person in many aspects.
Wang said in the interview that Ma was not only a knowledgeable person with a good command of a foreign language, but was also young and healthy and could run and swim.
He said Ma is a person with principles, and thus would not “take off his pants right on the street” to please the public.
The comments drew criticism from politicians from both the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and the DPP, who accused him of “brown-nosing” while serving as the head of an entity that is supposed to monitor government policies and actions.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as