The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) held a Central Standing Committee (CSC) by-election yesterday and said it did not receive any complaints of irregularities this time around.
“We will conduct a thorough investigation into any complaints about vote-buying allegations and mete out severe punishments, including revoking memberships,” KMT Secretary-General Chan Chun-po (詹春柏) said yesterday.
“But so far, we see only groundless allegations, and such disturbances usually happen in the run-up to all elections,” he said.
PHOTO: CNA
The by-election “was a tremendous improvement” on the one held last month, Chan said, referring to the election held on Oct. 11, after which 28 members resigned amid vote-buying allegations.
The mass resignation came on the heels of the party’s revocation of the elected status of Yang Chi-hsiung (楊吉雄) and Chiang Da-lung (江達隆) for giving gifts to party delegates.
President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), who doubles as KMT chairman, at the time supported the CSC by-election and called for clean elections.
The party has declined to confirm whether Ma was behind the wave of resignations.
After the resignation of CSC elected members over the Oct. 11 election, the KMT suspended the rights of 12 party members who participated in last month’s CSC election for three months amid allegations of vote buying.
The party yesterday afternoon elected 32 CSC members. The CSC has a total of 39 members, including five designated members, two youth group representatives and 32 elected members.
Chan said the party could not “run after a shadow” every time a newspaper made allegations. Party headquarters did not receive any “concrete complaints” about bribery, nor did any irregularities take place this time around, he said.
Central Committee member Yang Lai-yung (楊來勇), however, produced a sheet of paper he claimed was an allocation chart of the 32 CSC positions.
Rebutting the accusation, Chan asked Yang Lai-yung to provide names and said he had already asked party representatives eligible for the election to ignore any allocation sheet and exercise autonomy in voting.
Chan said it was wrong for individual members to behave in such a manner, but that the party could not bar any individuals from acting independently.
Ma declined to comment on the vote-buying allegations when he cast his vote at the party’s Taipei charter yesterday morning.
While only 12 of the 32 CSC members elected yesterday were newly elected and the other 20 were elected last month, Chan said it was “reasonable” to see more old faces because new faces were not widely known and had less connections with party representatives.
Chan said the new CSC line-up should help Ma’s effort to reform the party and foster party unity.
Meanwhile, Chan yesterday said he believed KMT Legislator Wu Yu-sheng (吳育昇) would handle his extramarital affair well because he is a “man.”
Wu on Friday apologized to the public for an extramarital affair after the Chinese-language Apple Daily newspaper ran a front page story on Friday with a series of pictures showing Wu and an unidentified woman arriving at a motel in Dazhi (大直), Taipei City.
Wu is considered to be one of Ma’s backers.
Describing Wu’s behavior as “individual conduct,” Chan said Wu is an adult and a legislator with a clean image, adding that Wu owed his family and the public a clear account of the matter.
Ma declined to comment on the matter yesterday.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty