Cabinet Spokesman Su Jun-pin (蘇俊賓) yesterday confirmed that Minister of Cultural Affairs Huang Pi-twan (黃碧端) had tendered her resignation.
Su told reporters that Huang had tendered her resignation several times, but Premier Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) had yet to approve it.
“The premier said Minister Huang had performed very well and had been very competent in terms of protecting cultural assets, promoting of the arts and planning cultural events and major cultural venues,” Su said.
Huang sent a letter to members of the council saying she had decided not to stay after former premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) led members of his Cabinet in resigning en masse on Sept 7.
Huang became minister on May 20 last year and remained after the Cabinet reshuffle, but said she only promised to stay on temporarily so that the premier would have time to find a successor.
Huang said she had handed her resignation to the premier on a number of occasions over the past month because she believed she had completed her mission for the time being and that she wanted the council to be led by a younger and more energetic minister.
Vice Minister of Cultural Affairs Chang Yui-tan (張譽騰) told reporters the minister had been very concerned about the review by legislators and the media, adding that legislators’ criticism on Monday might have renewed her determination to quit.
During a meeting of the legislature’s Education and Culture Committee on Monday, legislators criticized Huang for sending two text messages to her friends complaining about being unable to win support from legislators.
Huang was scheduled to attend the committee’s meeting yesterday, but requested a leave of absence.
Huang’s absence prompted Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators to threaten to boycott the council’s budget request for next year.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Hung Hsiu-chu (洪秀柱), a member of the committee, said Huang shouldn’t tender her resignation until the committee completes the budget review.
Meanwhile, Su dismissed media speculation that Department of Health Minister Yaung Chih-liang (楊志良) also tendered his resignation over the US beef import controversy. Su said the premier and the president both gave credits to Yaung for his performance.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as