Pro-unification supporters yesterday expressed disappointment over President Ma Ying-jeou's (馬英九) reluctance to strike a peace agreement and start a military confidence-building mechanism (CBM) with China, saying he had backed away from difficulties instead of showing leadership.
Chao Chun-shan (趙春山), president of the Foundation on Asia-Pacific Peace Studies, a think tank affiliated with the Presidential Office’s National Security Council, told a forum on Oct. 16 that three conditions must be satisfied before Taiwan would be willing to engage in political negotiations with Beijing.
These conditions are the signing of an economic cooperation framework agreement (ECFA) and a financial memorandum of understanding (MOU), achieving a domestic consensus and acceptance by the international community.
The three conditions were interpreted by pro-unification academics at the meeting held by the Taiwan Competitiveness Forum as a message from Ma that he has no intention of talking about a peace agreement and CBM during this term of office.
Chang Yia-chung (張亞中), a professor of politics at National Taiwan University, said the three conditions and recent developments in Taiwan-US relations were signs that cross-strait talks did not form part of Ma's political agenda.
“What Chao said were merely excuses to stall political negotiations, as he was meant to let the public know how difficult it was to sign a peace agreement and begin a CBM,” Chang said.
He added that Ma had recently changed the guiding principle on the administration's cross-strait policy from “economics first, then politics” to “only economics, no politics,” as well as prioritized US-Taiwan relations over cross-strait affairs.
That Ma had urged China to remove its missiles, stressed the importance of arms procurement from the US and the appointment of Andrew Yang (楊念祖), who has close ties to the US, as deputy minister of defense, suggested that Ma had no plans of holding political talks with China, Chang said.
Nan Fang Shuo (南方朔), a political commentator, said Ma was a leader with no leadership.
“Ma decides his policy agenda according to whichever way the wind blows and uses it to dodge difficulties. Even with the issue of whether Taiwan should sign a peace agreement with China, he wants the public, the US, Japan to decide,” he said.
Wang Hsiao-po (王曉波), a professor of philosophy at National Taiwan University, urged the Presidential Office to clarify whether Ma had changed his position on the role of the US in cross-strait political negotiations.
“When interviewed after his inauguration last year, Ma argued that intervention by the international community was inappropriate. The third prior condition cannot be met unless the US changes its Taiwan policy,” Wang said.
Huang Kuang-kuo (黃光國), a professor of psychology at National Taiwan University, suggested Ma set up a cross-party commission and solicit public opinion on a cross-strait peace agreement and a CBM.
Lin Cho-shui (林濁水), a former Democratic Progressive Party legislator, said Ma was clearly in a difficult situation about how to implement his pledges on a peace agreement and a CBM.
The president’s diplomatic truce policy has not earned him a commitment from Chinese President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤) that Taiwan has its own interpretation of “one China” but has led Taiwanese to suspect he might compromise the nation’s sovereignty, Lin said.
“When pushing for a cross-strait peace agreement and a CBM to be placed on the table, we have to ask are we really in such a rush to have political talks? If not, we won't be on an equal footing in the talks. In a democracy, it's not something politicians should do and it won't succeed,” Lin said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as