High-level Presidential Office staff were unhappy with leaks that led to reports President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) observed a missile exercise on Tuesday, sources said yesterday.
Citing a “reliable military source,” Chinese-language newspapers reported on Wednesday that a major missile exercise had been carried out on Tuesday at Jioupeng (九鵬) base in Pingtung County and that Ma had been among the observers.
The reports said the missiles tested included the Hsiung-Feng 2E (HF-2E), which has a range of around 600km and has not yet officially entered the military’s inventory.
Both the Presidential Office and the Ministry of National Defense declined to confirm or deny the reports on Wednesday.
Sources said yesterday that senior officials had ordered an investigation of the Presidential Office and the ministry to determine who leaked the information about the exercise and Ma’s attendance.
Sources said the timing of the leak was sensitive because the reported exercise came one day before the Mainland Affairs Council announced that Taichung had been selected as the venue for the fourth meeting between Straits Exchange Foundation Chairman Chiang Pin-kung (江丙坤) and president of China’s Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits, Chen Yunlin (陳雲林).
The Chinese-language United Evening News, meanwhile, reported yesterday that the missile tests had not been a success.
The ministry, in keeping with its usual practice, declined to comment on the paper’s story.
In his annual presidential address on Double Ten National Day, Ma said Taiwan would “never ignore the other side’s military threat despite significant improvements in cross-strait ties.”
China celebrated 60 years of Chinese Communist Party rule on Oct. 1 with a parade in Tiananmen Square that spotlighted its high-tech weapons, including intercontinental ballistic missiles.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY STAFF WRITER
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as