The Taipei City Government plans to make the Taipei Second Funeral Parlor the nation’s first “environmentally friendly” funeral home by using the energy produced from cremations to generate electricity for its air conditioning system.
The parlor, which was rebuilt and inaugurated in February last year, was built in accordance with the Ministry of the Interior’s green construction program.
For the comfort of mourners, the parlor management office of the city’s Department of Social Welfare Affairs began installing air conditioners in August. The units will reuse the heat generated by cremations.
Office director Hung Ying-hui (洪英輝) said the office would use heat transfer machines to transform the heat from the cremations into electricity.
The project cost about NT$7.7 million (US$230,000). Starting next month, the air conditioning system in the family waiting room and offices will run on the recycled energy, he said.
The parlor is the only public funeral home with cremation services in Taipei and performs an average of 52 cremations a day. The recycled energy should be sufficient for the air conditioning system.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City Councilor Chuang Ruei-hsiung (莊瑞雄) yesterday challenged the office’s plan and urged it to take public perceptions into consideration.
“I admire the city government for having such a creative idea, but for family members, it is just creepy to have air conditioning generated from burning bodies,” he said.
Chuang said the energy could be put to other purposes out of respect for the feelings of the mourners.
In response, Hung said the air conditioning system was installed because so many family members had complained that it was too hot in the waiting room during the summer.
“The air conditioning system is operated with recycled energy, and we can also look at it as the goodwill of the deceased,” he said.
Department commissioner Huang Lu Ching-ru (黃呂錦茹) said the department would discuss the matter with the Public Works Department, which did the construction, and look for alternatives.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated