Two gastronomy contests are scheduled to take place in Taipei from Oct. 9 to Oct. 12 as part of efforts to develop the city into a new culinary capital, the contest organizers said yesterday.
The Taipei Restaurant and Beverage Workers Union (TRBWU) is organizing the events — the second King of Chefs contest and the 2009 International Master Chefs Invitational Tournament — in cooperation with the Taipei City Government.
The two events, to be held at Taipei World Trade Center Exhibition Hall 2, will follow the culinary climax of the Deaflympics earlier this month, a 350-table banquet that won enthusiastic acclaim from local and foreign athletes and sports administrators, officials said.
“The feast at the end of the Deaflympics, which featured a variety of Taiwanese dishes including beef noodles and stewed pork rice, impressed many foreign athletes and sports officials,” Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) said at a press conference promoting the two events. “We believe the two cooking contests will further upgrade Taipei's profile in the culinary world.”
The King of Chefs contest will be the second of its kind co-sponsored by the restaurant workers union and the city government. The first took place in 2007.
During the same period, an international invitational chef contest will be held for the first time, with top-notch chefs from Japan, Singapore, China, Malaysia, Hong Kong and Taiwan demonstrating their cooking skills, the organizers said.
Participants in this year's King of Chefs contest will be required to prepare dishes using three officially designated ingredients — mackerel, ostrich and US-imported filet mignon — a TRBWU spokesman said.
Mackerel is a speciality of Nanfangao (南方澳) in Yilan County. The competition will test the contestants’ ability to turn a cheap fish into delicious high-end dishes, the spokesman said.
The selection of ostrich is part of efforts to promote the local ostrich industry, which was introduced into Taiwan more than 10 years ago, the spokesman said, adding that the inclusion of US-produced filet mignon is aimed at testing the chefs’ skills in presenting the prime beef normally seen in Western cuisine into Chinese-style delicacies.
In addition to the cooking contests, the event will also exhibit a dazzling array of traditional and innovative Taiwanese delicacies, with creative dishes prepared by 50 local restaurants each day. Visitors will be treated to a free bowl of sesame oil chicken each afternoon.
In addition, demonstrations of culinary skills, including ice sculpture, noodle pulling, sugar pulling, a knife show and fashion shows featuring costumes made of food, will also be staged each day.
Visitors to the event will be presented with an assortment of gifts and will have the chance to win round-trip tickets to Thailand. Admission will be NT$150 with a 20 percent discount for those who purchase tickets via 7-Eleven's i-bon system.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as