Executive Yuan Spokesman Su Jun-pin (蘇俊賓) yesterday dismissed allegations that Premier Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) intervened with the Central Election Commission’s (CEC) review of Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lin Ming-chun’s (林明溱) candidacy qualifications when Wu was a lawmaker.
“There was no such a thing. The Executive Yuan did not change its position that the Central Election Commission is an agency that should be operated independently of outside interference,” Su said.
He was responding to remarks made by CEC member Chao Shu-chien (趙叔鍵) on Saturday.
Chao said that in 2007, Wu, as KMT secretary-general, asked him to cut Lin some slack when reviewing Lin’s qualification to be a legislative candidate.
Lin’s status was controversial because he was given probation in a vote-buying case in 2002.
Anyone convicted of vote buying is barred from running for public office.
Chao cleared Lin during a CEC meeting by arguing that the Nantou Election Commission had already qualified Lin to run for Nantou County commissioner despite his conviction.
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Chen Ting-fei (陳亭妃) said yesterday that the KMT would be engaged in more illegal lobbying now that Wu was premier.
KMT Legislator Chiu Yi (邱毅), however, said it was acceptable for Wu to call Chao because Wu had been acting as party official in helping a KMT candidate communicate with the commission
Lin shrugged off the controversy, saying that he had been qualified to run for a legislative seat.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SHIH HSIU-CHUAN
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as