The Taitung District Prosecutors’ Office said on Friday it would indict niether Taitung County Commissioner Kuang Li-chen (鄺麗貞) nor the 13 others who accompanied her on a trip to Europe last year, on corruption charges.
District prosecutors launched an investigation last year after receiving a report from a county government employee that the nine business trips Kuang made abroad using public funds since April 2006 were “private and leisurely” in nature.
Controversy also arose when county residents discovered that Kuang was in Europe instead of at the county’s emergency operation center when a typhoon hit Taiwan in July last year, killing one in Taitung.
Thirteen county officials and township mayors accompanied Kuang on the trip.
Chief prosecutor Feng Cheng (馮成) said that prosecutors did not find anything illegal with Kuang’s trip.
Applications to use public funds on the trip followed proper procedure, the officials on the trip met to assign tasks during the trip and they gathered information relevant to development of tourism on the trip, Feng said, adding that prosecutors did not find that any of the 13 officials on the delegation had any intention to engage in illegal activities.
Feng said the job of the district prosecutors’ office was only to investigate whether Kuang and other officials on the delegation broke the law during their trips; determining whether administrative errors were committed during the trips was not part of its remit, Feng said.
He said that the power to launch a probe into administrative errors rests in the hands of the Control Yuan and the Commission on the Disciplinary Sanctions of Functionaries.
Kuang, a member of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT), thanked the judiciary for “proving my innocence,” but did not say whether she would run for re-election in the year-end county commissioner election.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated