The National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday that the specifications of mobile satellite communications cars provided by China Mobile Ltd (中國移動) would have to obtain certification from the commission before they can be used in Taiwan.
China Mobile Ltd chairman Wang Jianzhou (王建宙) said the company was prepared to lend 10 mobile satellite communication cars to telecom carriers in Taiwan to facilitate communication in areas devastated by Typhoon Morakot. The cars are stored at Xiamen Port and may only enter Taiwan after obtaining government approval.
Liang Wen-hsing (梁溫馨), an NCC specialist, said Far EasTone (遠傳電信) was also applying to have three such cars imported. Neither Chunghwa Telecom (中華電) nor Taiwan Mobile has submitted applications to import the cars.
“By law, the commission must certify specifications of controlled telecommunications radio frequency devices imported from abroad,” Liang said, adding that using China-made mobile satellite communications cars should not raise any national security concerns.
NCC spokesperson Chen Jeng-tsang (陳正倉) said that Far EasTone must also obtain a permit from the Ministry of Economic Affairs’ Bureau of Foreign Trade before the cars can be imported.
“The commission will not issue any comment on the donor [of the cars], nor will it comment on the recipient,” Chen said. “We are mainly responsible for accelerating the administrative process so that the equipment can reach disaster areas quickly.”
Meanwhile, Wang met Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (吳伯雄) yesterday. Wu thanked Wang for making donations to Taiwan in the wake of Morakot.
Wu was the only political figure Wang has met so far in his 10-day visit. Since arriving in Taiwan on Friday, Wang has visited HTC Corp (宏達電) and the Hsinchu Science Park.
Wang donated 10 million yuan (US$1.46 million) for rescue and relief work in Taiwan. He said he was impressed by Taiwan’s rescue and relief efforts, which reminded him and many Chinese of the situation in the wake of the Sichuan earthquake last year and how Taiwanese offered assistance in the rescue and relief work.
“I hope our cooperation with local businesses in Taiwan will create a win-win situation for both sides of the Taiwan Strait,” he said.
Wu expressed gratitude for Wang and China’s assistance and said the sincerity from China would help improve the cross-strait relations.
“Chinese Communist Party General Secretary Hu Jintao (胡錦濤) and I agree that the two sides cannot stop natural disasters, but we can use our wisdom and capabilities to stop war across the Taiwan Strait,” Wang said.
At a separate setting yesterday, MediaTek Inc (聯發科), Taiwan’s biggest handset chipmaker, said it intends to form a partnership with China Mobile to supply handset chips supporting China’s 3G and 4G technologies.
The announcement came after Wang met MediaTek chairman Tsai Ming-kai (蔡明介) and discussed China’s 3G, or time-division synchronous code division multiple acces and 4G, or TD-LTE, technologies.
In related news, the Taiwan Aboriginal Association for Multitribal Cultural Exchange said in a statement yesterday it had decided to “distribute funds for flooding victims on behalf of the Chinese Communist Party’s Taiwan Affairs Office” within a month. The fund referred to the 20 million yuan flood relief donation Non-Partisan Solidarity Union Legislator May Chin (高金素梅) accepted from China last week.
The association was established by political allies of Chin, who is half Atayal and was elected on an Aboriginal ballot.
Chin is believed to be the de facto leader of the group. It has also created a special commission, in which Chin, her political allies and office aide are members, to handle the distribution of the money.
Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Liu Te-shun (劉德勳) yesterday said he hoped the money would be distributed to typhoon victims in a fair and appropriate manner.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY LISA WANG, LOA IOK-SIN AND KO SHU-LING
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated