Taiwan needs the US to continue supplying defensive weapons to develop its military strength as it engages and negotiates with China, the country’s top representative to the US said in Chicago on Thursday.
Speaking at a luncheon organized by the National Strategy Forum (NSF), a Chicago-based think tank, Jason Yuan (袁健生) said US President Barack Obama would follow the Taiwan policy adopted by his predecessor, former US president George W. Bush, of providing Taiwan with necessary assistance.
The Taiwan Relations Act (TRA) states that the US must continue to provide Taiwan with adequate military weapons to safeguard its national security.
Because President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) has actively improved relations with China since taking office last year, Yuan said, the Taiwan Strait is no longer a military flashpoint, a development that is in the US’ interest.
Nevertheless, Taiwan still needs to reinforce its military muscle to strengthen its position in negotiations with China, Yuan told an audience made up of members from the political, economic and academic communities in the Chicago area.
Yuan said he was convinced that the US would honor its commitment to furnish Taiwan with military hardware and services in accordance with the TRA.
Responding to questions, Yuan said cross-strait negotiations were now focusing on topics related to people’s livelihoods.
As the political systems on the two sides of the Taiwan Strait remain vastly different, Yuan said, bilateral negotiations on political topics would be shelved for the time being.
Postponing solutions to political issues is the majority view in Taiwan, he said.
Yuan assured the audience that in its engagements with China, Taiwan would pursue a Taipei-Washington-Beijing “win-win-win” scenario on the basis of common interests.
Saying that the US is Taiwan’s most important ally, Yuan added that both countries share a belief in a democratic and liberal political system.
On the devastation wrought by Typhoon Morakot, Yuan said Taiwan appreciated the assistance offered by the US and 70 other countries.
Such aid indicated Taiwan was not alone in the international community, he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as