The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) declined to comment on the nation's annual UN bid after the deadline for filing such a request passed yesterday. It only said it would reveal its plan next week.
Rule 14 of the UN General Assembly's rules of procedure states that “any member or principal organ of the United Nations or the Secretary-General may, at least thirty days before the date fixed for the opening of a regular session, request the inclusion of supplementary items in the agenda.”
The General Assembly is scheduled to open its 64th session on Sept. 15 at its New York headquarters.
None of the government agencies, such as the foreign ministry, the Government Information Office or the Presidential Office, has held any briefing on Taiwan's strategy to either enter the global body or increase its participation in UN specialized agencies — as it requested last year.
Under the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) government, the nation's yearly attempt to enter the UN after the Republic of China forfeited its seat in 1971 was a priority task for the foreign ministry.
Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Andrew Hsia (夏立言) said on Friday the absence of a formal bid prior to the deadline did not mean the government was forgoing attempts to be part of the UN.
“There are other ways and we will give out the information next week. Missing the deadline could just mean that we are trying out new ways and not pitching the same bid as last year,” he said.
Presidential Spokesman Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) said the Presidential Office had no comment and referred all questions to MOFA.
Diplomacy along with military and cross-strait affairs all fall under the direct jurisdiction of the president.
DPP Spokesman Cheng Wen-tsang (鄭文燦) said Taiwan's inaction was a reflection of the government's “diplomatic truce” with China and that the Chinese Nationalist Party's (KMT) unwillingness to push for a UN bid was hardly surprising.
“Ever since the Ma [Ying-jeou (馬英九)] administration came to power last year, Taiwan's diplomacy has been put on hold because they think Taiwan's future is all in China's hands. We are heartbroken to see such an attitude, but we are not surprised,” he said, while demanding that MOFA give the public a clear explanation of its decision as soon as possible.
DPP Legislator Tsai Huang-lang (蔡煌瑯) said it was a classic example of the Ma administration bowing to China and suspected Taiwan's accession to the World Health Assembly (WHA) this May as an observer was a trade-off for agreeing to drop the annual UN bid.
KMT Legislator Liu Sheng-liang (劉盛良), however, said the recent warming links between Taiwan and China meant it was not essential for Taiwan to lobby for a UN seat and such action would be a mere formality.
In related news, the WHO removed an article on A(H1N1) transmission that referred to Taiwan as “Taiwan (China)” from its Web site.
On Aug. 8, in response to a Taipei Times inquiry on the WHO's Western Pacific Regional Office posting an article referring to Taiwan as “Taiwan (China),” Paul Chang (章文樑), director-general of the Department of International Organization, promised that MOFA would ask the WHO to only refer to Taiwan as “Chinese Taipei,” the name Taiwan uses in the organization since it was granted observer status.
A week later, instead of changing Taiwan's title, the article, which gave detailed information on the flu transmission in Taiwan, was removed.
Chang was not immediately available for comment.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as