The Taipei City Government yesterday announced it would suspend operations on the Muzha-Neihu Line in the morning today and tomorrow for a system inspection.
The line is to be closed from 6am to 11am today and tomorrow, with free shuttle buses running between the line’s stations until 12pm, Taipei City Secretariat Deputy Director Tan Gwa-guang (譚國光) said, in his role as director of the Neihu-Muzha Line emergency response team.
Yang Chin-shu (楊金樹), chief secretary of the Transportation Department’s public transportation division, said that free Red Line shuttle buses run between Linguang Station and Taipei Nangang Exhibition Center Station, while Green Line buses run between Taipei Zoo Station and Songshan Airport Station.
Tan said the decision to shut the line was made in accordance with a first-phase system improvement plan presented by system builder Bombardier Inc.
The company asked for a longer period of time to inspect the system and solve its problems, which include an overly sensitive safety system that has caused frequent false alarms and malfunctions.
“We hope the public will support our improvement plan and be tolerant during the two days,” Tan said.
The city government chose to test the system today and tomorrow because it carries fewer passengers during those periods, he said.
The announcement was made after Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) acknowledged on Thursday that problems with the system were more serious than previously thought and that the city government would consider suspending the Muzha-Neihu MRT line for a thorough inspection.
Tan said the second-phase improvement plan would include strengthening the system’s resistance to lightning strikes.
Tan declined to comment on whether the city government would still consider halting operations on the line for a longer period of time, but said it would prioritize the interests of passengers when discussing possible solutions.
Bombardier has proposed a comprehensive improvement plan to raise the system’s reliability to 99 percent by mid-November, Tan said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty