The Central Weather Bureau (CWB) yesterday defended itself against criticism from President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), who yesterday held the bureau responsible for damage caused by Typhoon Morakot.
Ma blamed the bureau for not delivering accurate rain and wind estimates at a meeting at the Central Disaster Emergency Operation Center on Sunday. He said the bureau should review statistics accumulated in the past and offer more precise projections.
The bureau, however, defended its performance.
“I don’t think you can say that the precision of the weather reports was in direct proportion to the typhoon damage, or that the damage was caused because the bureau gave imprecise reports,” Shin Tzay-chyn (辛在勤) said. “Of course, there is always room to improve in terms of typhoon forecasts, but attributing damage solely to imprecise typhoon forecasts — the CWB simply cannot bear such a responsibility.”
Shin said that the bureau would invite meteorologists and college professors to review its typhoon forecast service and to discuss ways to improve it.
He said the bureau’s forecast for the path of Typhoon Morakot was the same as that provided by other forecast agencies and that the bureau had published rain and wind estimate updates every three hours.
“You need to make a long-term investment in the weather forecast service,” Shin said. “It is not going to be solved just by purchasing new facilities.”
Lin Hsiu-wen (林秀雯), deputy director of the bureau’s forecast center, said that only the US and Taiwan offered rain and wind estimates during typhoon warnings. The precision rate was to within about 20 percent to 30 percent, she added.
During the typhoon, the bureau had warned residents in central and southern Taiwan to expect heavy rainfall. It was forced to keep increasing its rainfall estimates, however, as the typhoon passed across the country.
Meanwhile, the bureau has lifted both sea and land warnings for Tropical Storm Morakot, which has now made landfall in China’s Fujian Province. The bureau continued to issue heavy rain alerts for areas south of Miaoli County, as rain brought in by the southwest monsoon is expected to continue through today. Chances of extremely heavy rain remain high in mountainous areas.
Meanwhile, Water Resources Agency Director-General Chen Shen-hsien (陳伸賢) yesterday promised to assume political responsibility for the severe flooding in southern Taiwan.
“I’m always prepared. When the rescue work is finished, I’ll assume responsibility [for the disaster],” Chen said.
Chen made the remarks a day after Ma demanded that the agency examine whether the extensive flooding was the result of a natural catastrophe or ineffective flood prevention efforts.
Ma said the agency should determine if funds allocated for flood prevention projects had been used properly, and that the agency should not shirk its responsibilities.
Chen promised that the agency would begin a review.
He said while the eight-year, NT$80 billion (US$2.7 billion) flood prevention project launched in 2006 targets rivers within the jurisdiction of local governments, the heavy rainfall triggered by Typhoon Morakot caused the rapid overflow of larger rivers in areas that are under the control of central government. Every flood prevention project has its limits, he said.
For example, he said, the flood prevention facilities built along rivers in areas controlled by local governments were designed to withstand once every 50-year events, and those constructed along rivers within areas controlled by central government were designed to withstand once every 100-year events.
“However, the rainfall brought by Typhoon Morakot exceeded the peak volume expected for a once in 200-year event,” he said.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as