The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday that Denmark has become the ninth European country to recognize Taiwanese driver’s licenses.
Anne Hung (洪慧珠), director-general of the Department of European Affairs, made the announcement at a regular press briefing. The regulation took effect on July 1.
“Denmark, which terminated earlier privileges for ROC [Republic of China] citizens in 2007 because of EU regulations, decided recently to reinstate the treatment. This is a result of the efforts of our representative office in Denmark,” Hung said.
Hung said nine European countries have reciprocal recognition of Taiwanese driver’s licenses — Denmark, France, Italy, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Hungary and Finland.
Meanwhile, Hung called on the public to pay special attention to personal safety while traveling abroad, saying that a Taiwanese national was in a coma after a rafting accident on July 17 in Bern, Switzerland.
Declining to give more details about the person, Hung said that after being notified by Swiss police, the ministry’s representative office in Geneva informed the victim’s family and helped them obtain Swiss visas to fly immediately to Switzerland.
In related news, a Europe-Taiwan youth summer program sponsored by the ministry is scheduled to open next week to promote interaction between young people.
Hung said the program had been flooded with applications from young Europeans.
“MOFA hopes that through this activity, young people in Europe will haver an occasion to learn more about Taiwan, while it will help us create more connections in Europe,” Hung said.
She said the exchange program consisted of workshops from next Tuesday to Aug. 10 and from Aug. 18 through Aug. 31, with each attended by more than 70 people from Europe and Africa.
The group will participate in a variety of activities with Taiwanese youth and will visit government agencies, cultural sites and other tourist destinations, Hung said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as